Friday, April 13, 2012

tips for ozoning

I haven't been to the drive-in in ages.  My girls have been wanting to go.  I no longer have my van or a jam box.  I used to go a lot with my pal Jose' but life has gotten busy for all of us.  Ten years ago it used  to cost $5.00  for a carload.  It then it doubled to $10.00 and now admission is $15.00.  The prices have gone up, but still the drive-in is a good value.  Just think of it, $15.00 for everyone in your car...and as many as you can cram in your trunk.  That's a good price compared to what you have to pay to walk into cinema - double features at that!

When I go to the drive-in, I don't like sitting in the car.  It's all about front row tailgating with family and friends.  To do this you need to have a good jam box.  I've found that they don't make jam boxes like they used to.  I'm keeping my eye out for an old jam box that has good speakers.  I've found that a lot of MP3 players have an FM app.  These are good if you've got enough to go around.  I've used my studio headset and have enjoyed quality sound at the drive-in.  Still, it's better to have a good ghetto-blaster so that all in the immediate vicinity can be edified as well.

Folding chairs are a must when tailgating.  We often take a fold out table to keep the jambox off the ground and to keep food.  Having blankets on hand can be very handy, because any night during any season can get a little cool.

Most drive-in owners don't like outside food brought in, but I find that most drive-ins serve mediocre film inside.  We usually bring in a cooler with drinks and loads of snacks.  We often dine in at the drive-in.  Sand Mountain Drive-In in Boaz, AL serves up a pretty good hamburger. One thing to keep in mind if you're planning on buying food there.  Be prepared for a long line of hungry drive-in patrons in the food line.  If dining-in, arrive early so you won't have to stand in line during the first half of the first feature.  Yes, it can get that bad.
My wife doesn't like cigars, so I rarely smoke a cigar.  I've found that cigar smoke deters mosquitoes and their desire to suck my blood on those warm Summer nights.  If you don't smoke cigars (or with your wife who doesn't like cigar smoke) bring along some OFF! repellent.  We often take an insect repellant candle and that usually does the trick
Yes, I'm thinking about going to the drive-in real soon!

No comments: