Wednesday, August 3, 2011

somewhere out there

Mark & Brook jam at Skylight after the wedding. Sept 1, 1990
Back in 1986-87, I met Mark Edward Stephens.  I was sitting in the break room during classes at the Art Institute where I struck up a conversation with one of the music institute students.  Mark was a big friendly fellow.  We were both Christians, both enjoyed singing/songwriting, both trying to get a foothold on life.  I was in my late twenties and Mark was in his early thirties.  We connected.

I met Mark during a spiritually hard time.  I was disconnected because I had allowed other folk to affect my Christian walk.  Sure I was wounded, but looking back I know that I made the choice to distance myself from God.  Atlanta to me was a worldly jungle.  I told Mark that I needed to connect and he said that he too needed to find some fellowship.  We decided to venture out Sunday mornings together and find a church. 

After all that driving around I never found a church, but I did find good fellowship in my new friend.  We got together on several occasions and worked on songs.  Once he asked me over to his his apartment and we hung out throughout the night and hammered out a song 'Little Davids'.  I wish I remembered all the words.  All that plays in my head now is just the chorus.

Little Davids everywhere
if you love me
if you care
then feed my sheep
-feed my sheep


As always, I'd churn out the rhythm and sing the melody.  My more talented guitarist friend would lace the song with lead guitar and add harmony.  It was a good night.  Our talks would go on for hours upon hours.  We were so very different, but our lives where on the same chord at that moment.  He was a good friend.

Mark once came to stay with me one weekend after I moved back to Gadsden.  I was renting an apartment on Walnut Street at the time.  He brought his guitar and we spent most of the time talking or playing.

The last time I saw Mark was at my wedding.  He drove from Atlanta to attend.  I only got a chance that day to thank him for coming and give him a hug.  Mark hung around after the rice and got to know Brook a little.  He went to Skylight and jammed a little with my brother.

I lost contact with Mark not long afterward.  I often wondered what happened to my old friend.  I once tried calling various Atlanta Christian radio stations asking if they knew him, but no one would respond.  Have a rather common name, I gave up with the exception of occasional online searches.

A few days ago I was Googling his name, trying different combinations.  I finally typed in Mark+Stephens+Atlanta+Radio and found his
obituary.  I don't know why I keep doing this to myself.

I'm sorry Mark for losing touch with you.  You were a good friend.  I know we'll meet again.

No comments: