Thursday, April 28, 2011

melancholy morning

December 28, 1920 - April 28, 2011

Patillo Ainsworth Finlayson, all of Westbrook's kids called him Uncle Pat.  All his siblings and friends called him Ainsworth.

Jennie called me this morning with the news that Uncle Pat passed away during the night.  This one hurts.  I'm sure it affects all my siblings on the same level.  Pat was a sweet and lovable fellow.  He is loved and will be missed.  He is well now. 

A few years ago, on this blog, I posted stories about Pat's wartime experiences aboard the USS LST-312.  Anyone who has kept up with this blog has come across his name on many occasions.  A while back my niece Sara Noojin had interviewed Pat for a school project.  I thought it well written and thought you all might appreciate reading it.


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

David,
It's really odd how things work. I grew up (and have moved back) to my family's old house on Duncan St. (2 doors down from where your wonderful Uncle Murdoch lived.) I was thinking of Murdoch yesterday as I admired the small dogwood tree that he gave my Dad several years back. I was perusing The State paper today, and saw your Uncle Pat's obituary. Only then did I learn that Murdoch had passed away in 2008 (I only returned to the area a year or two ago). This led me to your blog. I am sorry for your loss. I didn't know Pat, but if he was anything like Murdoch you come from a wonderful family.
Sincerely,
Mark T. Reed MD
Columbia, SC

David Finlayson said...

Thank you Dr. Reed for your kind words.