Tuesday, October 19, 2010

places: spilling it

“I didn’t bring you here to answer your questions.”

“Then ask me your questions.  I have headache for obvious reasons.  I’d like to go home soon."

“I want to know all about Rod."

“If you are who I believe you to be, you should know what’s going on with Rod.”

“Answer the question,” I asked.

“You know good and well who Rod is, and WE DID what you asked!  He’s not going to be a problem for us.  I told you people that I needed just a little time.  You’re being too impatient - too rash. Why am I here?”

Clayton went an unexpected direction and I played along.

He started sounding cocky, more like his old self.  I guess he was thinking that he was going to walk away from this.

“How do you know he’s dead?” I asked.

“He should be dead by now.  We were at the house waiting on a call - a call to confirm Larkin was taken care of.  I was waiting when you....came out of no where.  I need to get back there.”

I stood in the dark trying to make up questions, respond, without giving anything up.  I needed to keep my questions short and listen hard.

Clayton started back up.

“Well!  Is this what I am here for?  Did you bring me out here to kill me because you think I didn’t do what you asked?  What the hell is wrong with you people.  I’ve done everything you’ve asked.  I have delivered everything – every time and on time at that! You’re going to end the relationship just like that?

“And neither snow, nor rain, nor heat, nor gloom of night, nor the winds of change, nor a nation challenged, will stay us from the swift completion of our appointed rounds…”

“Get serious Clayton. What about the other guy?” I asked.

“The other guy is a nobody.  I told you that.  He’s probably dead by now too.”

“Probably?”  I’m a nobody. Rod was right.  It’s not very comforting to be expendable.  How on earth did I walk away from there?

“I wasn’t paid to kill the driver.”

“Isn’t it highly likely that the driver was embedded too?” I asked.

“I strongly doubt it.  Like I said, he’s a nobody..I was willing to throw him in the deal.”

I answered with silence.

He added, “I doubt if Johnny lived.  I told my men to kill Larkin upon his arrival.  The driver either died there or would have come back to the house.  If he comes back, I’ll make sure he’s taken care of.  It’s been two hours since they left.  He never came back, so I suspect that his body is being disposed of with Larkins.”

He was wiggling and showing discomfort in the twine.  He didn’t seem as scared.  “Will you please untie me and let me go now?  This is ridiculous.  Why am I still tied up?”

Clayton seemed to feel emboldened, sounding a little more like himself again“I have things to do and you won’t let me do them.”

I took a few steps toward him.  His eyes searched harder, trying to make my face.  I didn’t care anymore.  I’ve learned that he was the one behind Rod’s death.  I learned that there is a larger organization involved that Clayton is catering to.  I also had learned that Rod more than likely was who he said he was.  I moved closer.

I was ready for him to see me.

His eyes squinted against the light.“Wait a minute." His eyes for a moment widened and then... "Wait a minute!....You!  

Clayton started laughing, faking confidence he couldn’t afford.  I could tell by his tone that he was going to try to seize control of the conversation.  He was heading up the wrong ally.  As of tonight, I wasn’t on his payroll anymore.  Besides, he’s the one tied up - and I the one holding the gun.

“What’s going on here?”  Clayton, this time, demanded.

I’m still asking the questions.

No comments: