Friday, June 4, 2010

regarding the scoundrel Thomas Jefferson

The following is a response that I wrote within a facebook message (not a thread).  I accepted a facebook friendship request a while back and decided to drop the friendship the other day.  Basically it started when I quoted Thomas Jefferson (as I often do).  The person did not respond to the quote but rather (as libs often do) responded with slandering Jefferson.  You know, the one about Jefferson having sex with his slave women. -David

"But just because you got that excerpt from Monticello doesn't mean it is true?"

YES IT IS TRUE. Truth isn't opinion. Truth is purely what it is. We are living in a time that's referred to as post-modern era.  A time when truth is treated like the next guy's opinion. Bill Clinton is considered the first post-modern president - well known for his statement, "It depends on what the meaning of the words 'is' is."  Sorry Bill, but reality isn't what you make of it. 'Is' is 'Is'!  Fact is fact. As Christians we can't afford to think this way. I could easily look at scripture where Jesus says that "I am the way, the truth, and the life" and simply reply "So what makes this true?"

Did you read the entire Monticello article or just glance through it? I made the entire text available to you - not just quote a snippet   I understand that you think reading is boring, but it's important. It transcends feelings and get's you to actually think critically. The Monticello page actually had a link to the 2000 investigation that included your 1998 DNA research link. The Monticello statement is a fair and honest look at the Jefferson issue. The truth, the fact IS that no one knows conclusively what happened. Fact, the DNA results are not conclusive because Thomas Jefferson had a younger brother named Randolph.  Fact, siblings share the same DNA.  Randolph Jefferson was said to have slept with the slaves.  The article said that there is no conclusive proof because of Randolph's presence amid the DNA research.

Is it that you simply want a RUMOR to be fact? The truth about the issue again is, the rumor is just a rumor until someone can come along and qualify the information. What it clearly said is that what you claimed is unsubstantiated. Since it's unsubstantiated, basically what you are doing is expecting me to believe third party gossip about a good man.  For me, I am going to give Jefferson the benefit of the doubt because nothing has been proven. Sorry, but if you want to discuss something, leave out the rumors.  It's nothing but a distraction and a nuisance.

At one point in a thread you asked for truth and fact....but when it comes down to it - you reject it when I try to offer it to you. Why should I go further? Frankly, I feel like I am just wasting my time.  - end of message
To sum it up, even if it were true - that Thomas Jefferson had relations with Sally Hemings after his wife's death, is this to diminish Jefferson's contribution to us.  Are the wisdom of his words made void because of it?  But what am I thinking - Jefferson and all those guys lived over two hundred years ago.  A lot has happened since then.  Forget those old dead people and what they believed and what they did.  Why should anything they signed off on matter to us today?  I want my handout!

No comments: