Tuesday, June 22, 2010

i need a vacation

I really do.  I want to crash somewhere far off for a very long time and not be bothered. But my wife informs me that that isn't a vacation.  Gina and I have been going back and forth about what and where to do.  I don't want to drive for a day to get where ever, then spend a day there, to turn around and drive back a day.  I am not a traveling man I guess.  For the most part, I am not the kind of guy that believes half the fun is in getting there.  I am told I don't have the right attitude regarding vacations.  Maybe my attitude will change when we actually own a car that has air conditioning.  I mentioned that maybe renting a car with air conditioning might nudge my attitude about 'getting there' slightly into the 'fun' catagory.  I was reminded that it cost money to rent a vehicle.

I am reminded of the obvious often.

The vacation will need to be a short trip driven there and back in the cool of the morning or evening.

Katie was recently reminding me that we haven't been on a family vacation in two years.  This is true if we don't count the funeral we went to the Summer before last.  Before that we went to Chattanooga for an extended weekend...2007?  I don't recall.  We did have fun.  We could do that again.  There's still the same places to see and do there.

I don't know.  I'd like to get away, but don't look forward to the idea of how long it will take to get to and from our get away. It's terrible of me I know.  I would be just as content to remain in the air conditioned womb that is my home.  I don't like maps and tangled metro roads.  I don't care for the usual tourist must see places.  I don't care for going somewhere that has the same eating and shopping franchises that line the streets of our own town.  What's the difference?  I'm sure there are towns with something unusual and cool to offer - but where?  We'll probably end up in Chattanooga again.  It's a unique town and there's stuff there that I know that the girls enjoy.

I don't know what to do.  This year is Gina's and my 20th Anniversary.  September 1, school will be back in session and we can't go anywhere then.  That's a shame.  Fall is my favorite season of all time.  Gina and I have been going back and forth on that trip too.  We are at a stand still.  I think she wants to go to Savannah, GA - that is if she can work it out with her lymphedema patients.  Lymphedema patients by the way HAVE to be seen FIVE days a week.  I don't foresee being able to go on a week long second honeymoon kind of venture with our current commitments.

I guess having to come up with somewhere to go has been kind of disheartening.  Running this kind of business kind of limits our time and options.

No comments: