Saturday, May 22, 2010

under the clear May sky

Gina called me before she left the office yesterday.  She said that the new Shrek and Iron Man movies were playing as a double feature at the drive-in.  So we packed up the van, iced down the cooler, and headed up to Sand Mountain.

As always, we got there about an hour early so the girls could play in the field, and Gina and I could talk.  Though we had rain earlier in the day, we had a very clear and pleasant drive-in evening.

The fourth and final installment of the Shrek movies far surpasses the previous release.  The last Shrek movie was a disappointment.  Yes, I'm a Shrek fan, and happy to announce the new movie is so worth going to see.   We all enjoyed it.  Iron Man 2 was also enjoyable.  There was some unnecessary bad language in the movie. I don't know why Hollywood does that.  It was just a hand full of cuss words short of being a family flick.   I had taken my 7 year old, and my 13 year old with one of her friends. 

One thing about Iron Man.  I do like Samuel L. Jackson as Commander Nick Fury.  It was great casting.  I'd like to see more Fury's on the big screen.  Perhaps Marvel is working up to an Agent of S.H.I.E.L.D movie...

By the way, the same line-up is playing at the 411 Twin Drive-In toward Centre, AL.  I come to like their establishment better.  The sound quality wasn't as good as it could have been on Sand Mountain.  I had a hard time keeping tuned into it.  The projection of the movie wasn't as strong as it should have been.  Perhaps the audio and visual quality of the movies are better down 411.   Another nice thing about the 411 Drive-In...they keep their grass cut.  We always like tailgating on the front row. It wasn't as fun watching the movie in a jungle of knee-high weeds.  Maybe I'd feel different about it if I were watching The Deer Hunter or a Rambo movie instead - for that  'you are there' experience.

Aside from my gripe - SHREK, The Final Chapter and IRON MAN II make for a great drive-in line up.  - Nuff Said.

No comments: