Sunday, September 13, 2009

hurray for huluwood

I've watched some interesting flicks at http://hulu.com during the course of the week. Free stuff and well worth the watch.

A Bucket of Blood
It had been decades since I saw this American International classic. Roger Corman is known for his low budget movies - and this one is worth watching.

Happy Town
I had never heard of this war time film starring Don Ameche. In Happy Town, Ameche plays a man coping with the lose of his son during the war. I can't really explain the movie - kind of sappy - but I am a sucker for the sappy of that particular era. A very young Harry Morgan (M*A*S*H) also has a great role at the end of this movie. I believe Irving Pichel (Miracle of the Bells) was mimicking the style of Frank Capra. Happy Town isn't a great movie, but was very enjoyable. It's nice to run across and old movie that I have never seen.

Haunted World of Ed Wood
This is an interesting documentary of the director of the worst movie ever made - Plan 9 From Outer Space. The documentary itself seems to be a low budget venture. I'll call it a B-Documentary, which is fitting for the likes of Ed Wood. What is interesting is are all the interviews with the actors and those who knew Ed.

If any of you have never heard of Ed Wood - go rent Tim Burton's 'Ed Wood'. It's a great movie. One of my favorite Don Ameche roles is a 1988 movie entitled 'Things Change'. Ameche had some more notable roles in two other eighties movies, 'Cocoon' and 'Trading Places'.

No comments: