Wednesday, June 17, 2009

little shop of kelsey

A few weeks ago Kelsey (six) came to me in my studio and showed me a drawing. She asked me what it was and I laughed. The family sat down a few Saturdays ago and watched the original Roger Corman version of Little Shop of Horrors. The movie must have made an impression on her. I really like this piece of artwork.

The Little Shop of Horror (1960) was the fastest movie Roger Corman ever produced. He once claimed he made a bet that he could produce full length feature film in three days. He won his bet by shooting Little Shop in two days and one night. Well...at least that's Corman's story anyway. Little Shop of Horrors is a man-eating-plant story that crossed over onto stage as a macabre-comedy musical, and then back into film. I've seen both screen versions as well as the stage play. I wasn't disappointed by any of the productions. I am not one for musicals - but the stage and screen show is very fun - and the songs are most excellent. As for my youngest daughter. I am constantly amazed at her. Gina says that Kelsey will one day surpass me in creativity and in art. I believe so too. Kelsey is a very imaginative little creature. She's always keeping her little hands busy with crayons, scissors, tape, and any very important documents that are missing that later turn up as great works of six year old art.

2 comments:

RODRIGUEZ said...

I like the drawing too...she's a good little artist.

Brook said...

I keep her "Jeezus" drawing she did for me on my study desk. To me, the inspired thing about the picture is the squiggly line bordering the image of Jesus on the cross. It is, I believe, His glory, glory that Kelsey not only sees what others miss, but renders what she sees. This is the eye, and heart, of an artist.