Friday, May 1, 2009

go ahead - make my nice day

Gina was kind this morning. She let me sleep in and come to work when I wanted. She didn't even give me a wake up call. I've had a hard time getting to sleep this week because of my hurting feet (diabetes related). My left wrist has been hurting in the evenings as well. There's not a day these past four weeks that I haven't taken some kind of pain pill. This week was strange though - I couldn't sleep if I wanted because of my feet. I would lay in bed dead tired and yet couldn't drift away because of the pain. Gina let me sleep and I slept. I had a very strange dream this morning that I am tempted to share but it is too long. I woke up at 9:30 and casually got ready to leave the house.

I made it down to the office about 10:30. I sat down and caught up on a few tasks. I hadn't accomplished much of anything when Gina comes into the back room and says, "All my patients have canceled today - let's hit a matinee."
This is so strange for Gina - she's not one for jumping into the escape pod in the middle of the day. She asked me what movie was showing at noon. I thought she was kidding so I kind of laughed it off and didn't do it. It's so unlike her. Gina came back about fifteen minutes later and asked me what was showing. "You're serious?"

We went and saw Wolverine, the latest sequel to the X-Men series. I felt like I was playing hooky on life sitting in that theater during the middle of a work day. I looked over and there was my boss - so I knew it was okay. We both really enjoyed the show. If you didn't know, I didn't grow up reading super hero comic books. There was Batman and Superman cartoons and television shows that I would watch. I didn't buy those kind of comic books as a kid - but would read them if they were loaned or given to me. I have never purchased an X-men comic book and didn't understand the premise of the story until the movies came out. I don't recall ever seeing one in a theater before but would see them as part of a double feature at the drive-in. That being said, I love this Wolverine movie.

wasn't really impressed with the previews but I enjoyed this one over all the others. I haven't really been all that impressed with the previous X-Men releases - they were good but not really all that memorable. This Wolverine movie was a great ride.
Funny thing - the first movie moment that I ever saw Hugh Jackman as Wolverine - I immediately thought of Clint Eastwood. Seriously. I think Jackman's make-up guy used a picture of early 1970's Eastwood to develop Jackman's overall Wolverine look. In this new movie - Hugh seems to be doing Eastwood doing Wolverine. When you go see this movie - just look at all the little expressions that Jackman emotes...it's Eastwood!

So I am wondering when somebody out in Hollywood will make the connection and bring us Jackman as Blonde (aka:the man with no name). After watching this movie today I know that Jackman could pull it off. Clint though might have one up on Hugh. Not only can Clint squint - but Clint's got that smooth quiet cool going for him. I'll make a prediction. Hugh Jackman is going to be given some Eastwood type roles in the future. Maybe not as Blondie - maybe not as Dirty Harry - but he'll be given some roles that will wreak of Eastwood. I wouldn't mind it - that is if the movies are actually good. Old Clint isn't making Clint kind of movies anymore. Not many actors could pull that brand of tough guy off. Hugh I believe could. Then again. Hugh might do himself a favor and not venture too far down that trail if he wants to define himself as Hugh and not Clint. But...then again...tell me what young man didn't want to grow up to be a little like the man with no name?
So the movie let out a little before 2:00. We both headed over to pick up the girls from school. Gina and I had a great time together. It was like one of those dates a couple would have before marriage - before feeling the weight of the world on our shoulders. We played hooky from the world today, and it was delightful. We picked up the girls, took them to the office by 3:00. Gina and I did a little work till 5:00. We then all went downtown for First Friday. After a while we sat down and had some incredible ribs. Oh man - they were good! The girls followed it with some homemade ice cream. Gina had peach and Katie and Kelsey had chocolate. I had a taste of each but I didn't go any further. The peach was very good. I wished that I could have had a whole bowl of it but I have to be satisfied to have at least had a taste of it.

Then the rain came. I should say that the storm came. The wind was blowing and vendors started tearing down their tents whilte the wind fought them. Vendors were quickly packing up merchandise as people started to run for cover or cars. We made it to the van before the down pour. We were all in good spirits and it was a very pleasant outing. The girls were finishing their ice cream in the van as the skies turned black and rain beat on the windows. We inched our way home in the bumper to bumper traffic amid the heavy rain. It was such a great day today that I didn't mind the tedious ride home. I wish every Friday were like today-what-a-day.

2 comments:

RODRIGUEZ said...

I always thought Jackman would be a good Eastwood

David Finlayson said...

It was the way they fixed Jackman up in the first movie that made me think that. When Googling for an image to post - I typed in Eastwood and Jackman and came up with the comparison image here. Apparently there are others that think the same.