Monday, April 13, 2009

watching the detectives

This is a Turner Classic Movies promo. TCM doesn't only have classics - they've got class as well. I've always have loved film noir - old detective shows. Bogart of course always being my favorite.

I wish that I got Turner Classic - but we can't really swing getting the dish upgrade. I miss the old movies. Brook's been kind enough to share his collection with me while I've been out of commission these past few weeks. I've been watching movies that I haven't seen in decades - some that I've never seen before.

Gina went to Walmart last week and bought me some five dollar movies. She bought me a DVD set that had a bunch of old WWII movies on it. Some are terrible, some mediocre, but some are pretty darn good. I watched GUNG HO last night that starred Randolf Scott. It was very enjoyable. I remembered this movie - and I never could think of the name of it. There is a scene where the marines take over a Japanese outpost - paint an American flag on the roof and then clear out to allow the Japanese to retake it. So the hordes of Japanese retake it and here comes the Japanese air support. The marines held back at a good distance to see the Jap Zeros make mince meat of their own guys. Robert Mitchum had a role in this movie - and Noah Berry (Rocky of Rockford Files) had a great role. In fact Berry had a billing higher than Mitchum in GUNG HO.

I've watched all kinds of old movies while home bound. It's been the only up-side to being trapped in doors these past few weeks. I'll be out next week. I've got a doctor's appointment tomorrow. He's going to see how I've healed up. I still cant lift anything for two more weeks - but it will be nice to be out and around. These old movies have been a nice distraction.

2 comments:

Greene Street Letters said...

If you could see my DVD collection you would instantly notice that it is filled with "OLD" stuff.Funny part is that it really isn't old stuff to me. Just good.
I wonder what it will be like in 20 years when the kids today blog about the good ol days and the movies they watched.
I find it really neat that both of my sons are jazzed about the GI JOE Movie that is coming out. Why? Because they grew up on GI JOE.
mb

David Finlayson said...

Go Joe!!!