Saturday, April 18, 2009

drive-in mafia time

When I go to the drive-in I don't sit in the car. I like to have a tailgate party. I have lots of drive-in memories because I've been going since I was a kid. We had drive-ins in Etowah County when I was young, and there's been a resurgence of them within the past ten years. I remember when Gina and I first got married, we would drive down to Franklin, KY to the Franklin Drive-in. I remember Gina and I were sitting in our BMW 318i, listening to the movie on our speakers, when I noticed there were people sitting on the front row in lawn chairs in front of a jam box. There was another couple having a picnic with their family. Gina and I decided that we were going to do the drive-in thing right from then on. We went to Walmart and bought some folding chairs and Gina bought me a Sony jam-box for my birthday.

From then on - I don't care to sit in a car to watch a movie. I like to be under the stars for the full effect. If the movie is lame, I always have a family member or friend to strike up a conversation or simply lean back and watch the heavens.

We are fortunate these days to have so many drive-ins in our immediate area. I want to check out the one in the Anniston area that opened a year ago. My favorite drive-in theater is the 411 Drive-in in Centre, AL. The drive-in I go to the most is up on Sand Mountain. Gina and I went there last night. It was a beautiful day yesterday. I've been really wanting to go out these past four weeks but weather or health did not permit. The surgery kept me indoors for two weeks. Now I am mobile and Gina and I went on a date night. I wasn't terribly thrilled about the selection but decided to go anyway.

The best double feature that I could tell was up on Sand Mountain Drive-in, which was A Haunting In Connecticut, and Duplicity. Haunting to my relief wasn't a slasher movie and wasn't a bad flick. It reminded me of an Alfred Hitchcock movie only with gory parts. Duplicity was a love story / spy thriller starring Julia Roberts. I was a very convoluted story with the sole purpose of throwing the audience of a trail. Really, I gave up very early in the movie. Why follow a trail that is meant to lose you. I had the story figured out within the first ten minutes - convoluted or not.

We had a good time last night. I am ready to start going regularly again. I want to hit 411 soon - I want to check the Star-lite Drive-in in Anniston sometime soon (Highway 202). Jose' are you ready? I am looking for a movie line up for the family. If I can get a good line up then I'm going to get the hotdogs cooking and the popcorn machine popping. I love the nights when I invite all the family and friends that I can think of - have a bona-fide tailgate party. It's been a long time since then. Robbie and Irene love to do the drive-in mafia thing too. So many people chomping at the bit to go. I'll let you know when it's time to go. The unfortunate thing is that all these drive-ins post their movies late in the week. I have to keep my eye out and the mafia will need to jump at a moments notice.

3 comments:

Greene Street Letters said...

you guys......
you da best...
mb

RODRIGUEZ said...

Maybe the X-Men movie would be a good one?......

David Finlayson said...

yes...good...goood

my jambox is ker-plunk. I need to get me a new drive-in mafia blaster.