Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Arnie, I think of you


The first time I met Arnie Sanford was at a Cerebral Palsy Telethon that was held in Gadsden. At the time Arnie was a member of a band from Centre, Alabama called Psalm (Barry Goss, Arnie Sanford, Skip Seagraves, & Larry Sanford). The band was at the telethon that night to play some songs but there was a guy named Jimmy Parker that sang that night who played a longer set that bumped Psalm off the schedule. No big deal. It was the night that I got to meet all the guys from Psalm. They were great people with great songs, and a unique sound.

Now back in the mid-seventies, I was the runt of the Christian Brothers / the Free House gang. I was just starting to play guitar and I would help roadie equipment around for who ever was playing - just to be near it all. Psalm started playing at Christian Bros events and Christian Brothers started attending Psalm events. It wasn't long before they were part of Christian Brothers and we were all friends.

Being a kid just learning to play and write music - I didn't measure up to the older college age kids that were writing and playing. It was Arnie that took the time to spend some time with me and encourage my music. We eventually started hanging around each other a great deal. We hung out more after he found out he had developed Multiple Sclerosis (MS). Arnie went from wobbling, to wobbly with a cane, to wheel chair bound in a short amount of time. He never lost his sense of humor and never lost his love for music.

It broke my heart as he slowly lost his ability to play and sing. I'd usually go over to his apartment in the early evenings when his nerves and muscles allowed him to manage to play guitar a little. He'd always ask me to bring my guitar and play with him. Even after he lost the ability to play - Arnie would ask me to come over and play for him.

I guess I went over to his apartment in Rainbow City (while he was still living in Gadsden) at least once a week. We'd sometimes go out for pizza. Arnie liked pizza. Most times Patsy (his wife during that time) would cook something for us. I'd often phone ahead and say I'd bring a pizza over. Did I mention that Arnie Liked pizza? Arnie was always was fun to be around because of that sharp Sanford wit of his. I say this because I've found out that both his brothers Larry and Shane possess it as well. I don't see Larry much - but to talk to Shane - I am reminded of Arnie a lot.

Arnie passed away about six years ago. He's one of those people that came into my life and left that I will always miss dearly. We had such good times together. I loved his music, his laughter and his wonderful heart. When I think of Arnie, I think of a thousand visits that lasted late into the night. Arnie had a way of looking at life that may to many seem a cynical outlook. Arnie wasn't cynical in the least - he just didn't take the things of this world that serious. He taught me to laugh at the stupidity of the world. He was just passing through this life and dealt with the cards life dealt him in his own spirited manner. I know he is sure to have had plenty of down moments when I wasn't around. We all do - we all are human. I will say that this man was a sweet fellow - a good and dear friend. I appreciate his encouragement in the earlier years and thankful that he became my close friend. I know that when I die - what ever form we take in the hereafter - that I will recognize his precious soul upon meeting.

"Hey David, did you bring your guitar?"

5 comments:

Florrie said...

Life is sometimes funny. This morning, I dreamed of Rachael Sanford Richardson then I get on your blog and saw the photo of Arnie & Rachael. You have to know that their is a God! I miss Arnie,too.

David Finlayson said...

Bob McLeod used to say that such moments were "God winking at you."
Yes - there is a God.

Michael and Rachel Richardson said...

wow, David, this is really nice...thank you for telling me...and Florrie, so you gonna tell me about your dream or what? (^_^)

Jeri Tanner said...

Hey David,

Jeri (Jordan) Tanner here. It's been wonderful to look over all you've done on your blogs and facebook--you sir are a true historian, and have faithfully preserved some great times. I was reading this and remembering Arnie and thought I'd mention that he gave me a song of his to record on an album I did at Bates Brothers in 1988. He gave me the handwritten lyrics and, I think, a cassette copy of him singing it (wish I still had them.) The song was "With Your Help". It was a very special song to me then and still is now. Arnie was precious.

David Finlayson said...

I am glad you've enjoyed all the posting. It's a pleasant distraction for me.

I never heard your version of With Your Help. I still play it. The most recent was when The Guise (Brooky Finlayson, Michael Bynum, and myself) played at MoonSong a few weeks ago. Rachael was in the audience. Rachael by the way has a beautiful voice and we often have opportunities to sing together.

I hope you are doing well. It's been a very long time since I've seen you. It's been a very long time since I've heard you sing. I believe it was at the Morning Star Festival in Trussville (1981?).