Wednesday, March 18, 2009

two friends along the way

I have been blessed with many friends. I am not referring to acquaintances, but dear friends that I have met and will forever be connected to and love for the rest of my existence. I have dear friends that I have been blessed today - blessed to see on a regular basis. But there are friends that I have made that I have not seen in decades. Some have gone home, some live too far away. I don't know if they think of me like I think of them, but it really doesn't matter. I love them just the same.

I thought today that I'd mention two of these friends that I haven't seen for a while.

Back in 1978, I was attending Gadsden State Junior College. I was taking a speech class there and had taken two guitars (my Yamaha and Brook's Martin) for a presentation. I believe the speech was to illustrate the differences between guitar quality - what to look for when shopping. The assignment, if memory serves, had to do with showing comparisons. After the speech, while walking across campus to my car, I was approached by a stranger. He told me that he played guitar too and thought that maybe we could get together sometime and jam. I gave him my phone number. I got a call within the week from him and we talked for a good while. Doug Moore and I got together a few times and he started coming to Christian Brother's coffeehouse on a regular basis. He became a Christian during that time and we played together a good bit. I wasn't that good with a guitar at that time, but Doug didn't seem to mind. We always enjoyed each other's company. Doug eventually was called into ministry and moved up to Asbury College in Wilmore, KY to study to become a pastor. I remember when Doug was still living in Gadsden, mentioning that we should go to Europe and sing on street corners, inns, and pubs. He grew up overseas. His dad worked for Goodyear overseas, and so Doug lived all over the world. Doug said that we could sing for room and board and spend a season touring here and there. It sounded incredible and I don't know why I didn't just do it. That's one regret I have today - not jumping on that plane with Doug and become a road side troubadour for a season. I don't see Doug that much - we do keep in touch via Internet and telephone. It would be great to see him again - great to play with him again. It's been too long.
Angelo Gonfiantini was from the Bronx. He lives there today. There was a time about three decades ago that he called Gadsden his home. The first time I saw Angelo was when he dropped by Christian Brother's in his Navy dungarees. He was stationed at the Naval Reserve Center that used to be located in East Gadsden. Angelo started coming regular to the coffee house and became a part of the fellowship. Angelo and I got along great from the start. We both liked to cut up and make people laugh. I used to be the chairman of the coffeehouse committee and I enjoyed it when Angelo and I would co-host evenings together. We'd bounce off of each other and ad-lib a good time on and off stage. Neither of us made a good straight man - but our friendship and humor blended nicely. Angelo tried to find a career in Gadsden after he ended his stint with the Navy. He ended up moving back to New York. Angelo and I spent a lot of time together - opened our hearts and lives to one another. After all these years - I still miss having Angelo around.

Both Angelo and Doug left Gadsden within months of each other. I remember a time - not long after their departure when I realized the loss. I wanted to call - hook up for the evening with a friend - and Angelo wasn't around - Doug wasn't around either. The world had changed within days. I had also been dating a girl at that time that had also moved away (to attend Christ For The Nations) during that same period. I believe the year was 1981. It was a weird time after they all moved on - it just didn't hit me as we all (separately) said our goodbyes. It did hit me hard a short time later.

I know that I will love these people forever - it's just that being in the same neighborhood - the same state - the same part of the world - isn't a guarantee. I will appreciate my friends while I still have them around. I will enjoy each moment and be grateful for the times we do have.

"Life is made of ever so many partings welded together."
- Charles Dickens

3 comments:

Greene Street Letters said...

All too true.
I think of Phil Byrum, Chris and Janna McDonald, even Don and Jennie, Nori and Barbie.
That float in and out of our lives and we become better people because of it.
Thanks for your friendship....
mb

David Finlayson said...

You're on my list too Michael.

Tom/Barb said...

Angelo is a dear friend of ours that we haven't seen for over 30 years. We were all stationed together in Japan with the Navy and were in a Christian Fellowship movement there. He was the Best Man at our wedding and we would love to reconnect. Do you know how to get in touch with him?
=