Monday, March 2, 2009

roads to and fro

Cindy had purchased concert tickets for her, Brook, and myself for a Lucinda Williams concert in Atlanta. We took off Saturday afternoon, early enough to have time to drive out leisure drive out and sit down dinner. I like outings where you're not rushed to get there and find the place. I like outings where you can have a good conversation. The conversation is usually 90% of the fun in my book. Brook told us about his venture with Jennifer to Brazil to see his son West. West turned 21 and they wanted to be with him and had a good excuse to see what his life was there was like. They had a great time. I'm proud of West, glad my brother and his wife are at a good place in life to make such a trip. I'd like for God to increase the fullness of their life even more. I'd like for God to show them the abundance that they already have and give them even more. God bless them even more. I mean that!

The concert was fantastic. I had never heard of Lucinda Williams before the concert invite. I am not a big country fan - though I did enjoy listening to some of the new country/rock music of Rodney Crowell, Rosanne Cash, Juice Newton and the like in the early to mid 80's. It was only at the tail end of the concert that Brook said that it was Lucinda that wrote the song Passionate Kisses. I loved that song, and remembered turning up the radio every time I heard Mary Chapin Carpenter sing it on the radio, back when Gina and I lived in Bowling Green, KY.

I have to tell you that as much as I love to write music, I don't listen to it much on the radio. I don't know why. I listen mostly to talk radio. If I listen to music - it's usually to a CD - but rarely that. My radio is broken in my mini-van and the radio in my VW only gets one channel. Speakers in both vehicles are wasted.


Back to the concert. I heard songs that I had never heard before. Every one of them solid works. I enjoyed listening to the talent of someone new to me. I especially enjoyed the band traveling with her - Buick 6. They blew us away with their eclectic choices / compositions and musicianship. I don't know how to explain it - but I was simply drawn in to their sound. Every last one of them were fun to watch and listen to. I am going to be watching out for them.
We got back in town around one o'clock. We talked there and back, enjoying each others company. Brook played some of the Buick 6 CD he bought there. The time and miles passed quickly.

Katie and I woke up Sunday morning ready for church. Jim Bentley led worship. It had been a while since I had heard him. The team consisted of who ever showed that happened to bring an instrument. I kid you not. It was a good moment. A vale was torn and worship flowed freely. Jim really ought to lead more - he's anointed in leading worship and releasing others to do the same.

We had a great worship leaders meeting afterward. I can't explain what all happened Sunday afternoon. These past months God has been waking something in all of us, stirring parts that were once asleep or abandoned. He is indeed waking the dead in all of us. He is doing a new thing - creating something new. I know this is all vague. I don't really want to speak specifically, because I am still watching pieces being put into place. He is putting something into place - I am just happy to be here and a willing part and piece of it. It's one thing to see circumstances change and opportunities open- but God is doing an inner thing in each of us - preparing us for what is coming next. I know that collectively - our hands are open.

1 comment:

Greene Street Letters said...

Sounds like a full week end of music....you soaked it up and now let God squeeze you and it flow out on others....
mb