Monday, March 23, 2009

doing the facebook thing

I opened a facebook account about two years ago. My dear friend, Diane Brouillette, told me that she used facebook over myspace - so I signed on to keep in touch. I had two friends on that account for pretty much all of that time. I'd check my facebook account out every month or so to post a picture or to say hello. That was about it.

Until a few months ago - I didn't see much in the service. Now I think it's the best thing since sliced bread. It wasn't until the past three months that people seemed to pop up everywhere on facebook. I've reconnected with friends that I thought that I would never hear from again. Why I've reconnected not only with classmates from high school - but people I've knew all the way back to elementary school. I've made contact with friends from Camp Bethlehem days (a Christian family in Bonifay, FL that Dad & Mom started taking the family to in the Summer of 1969). I've run into old friends from Christian Brother's coffeehouse days. I've been reconnected with many of those who Gina and I befriended from our years in Bowling Green, Ky. Facebook allows me reach back into span of my lifetime. I've pulled out a long line of friends and acquaintances that go back almost the entire 50 years of my life.

There are some folks that I'd like to see on facebook - friends that I haven't connected with in a very very long time. Who knows, my facebook friends have increased to encompass well over 200 names since January. I'm sure to bump into more and more familiar faces. It's amazing how many people out there we've met along the way.

3 comments:

Greene Street Letters said...

I would love to do facebook, unfortunatly, the people I know have all hocked or sold their computers for "other things".
Alas....

mb

Bobby said...

Facebook is fun. When I first signed up I thought I would be the only "old person" on it...I was wrong!

David Finlayson said...

My understanding is that it was originally for college kids and the like - but they can just step aside. I've had a blast finding old friends scattered across the country.