Friday, February 6, 2009

randall dan

Dan, his dog Jody and his old truck
I guess it was 1975 or 76 that Brook told me about this guy named Dan Noojin. Brook knew how much I liked Cat Stevens (singer/songwriter) and that he met this guy that played a lot of Cat Stevens music. As a little time went by, I had heard that Dan's dad was in a wheelchair too. Ever since I first heard of Dan - I wanted to get to know him.

Finally, he showed up. I was at the Central United Methodist Youth Hut while the band was practicing. The band consisted of Don and Jennie Rakestraw, Quantrilla Edwards, and Chris McDonald.  I can not remember if Brook was in that band at that time or not.

Anyway, this guy walks in the room where I was standing.  I was in a different room from where the band was practicing. "Brooky told me that you played Cat Stevens." Dan borrowed my guitar and played 'The Wind'.  Dan had a very nice voice and guitar style. We didn't talk much afterward, he then made his way back to the room where the band was practicing. He didn't hang around long.  
I don't know why, but from the very beginning I wanted to be Dan's friend.

Dan played with Chip Lasseter (later Dan Maddox) and they had an incredible sound together. Their music was very fresh.  Listening to all those acoustic sounds entwined into one another, having it's own unusual dynamic. The sound sweetened even more when Dan Maddox joined the group (Chip, Dan and Dan).

Dan began working at Laverty Music Company (Forrest Ave / East Broad) where Don sold guitars. I remember Dan adjusting the neck of my Yamaha FG-180 and putting on a new set of keys. I was prepared to pay him for a set of Grovers, but he said not to bother. The keys he put on were a nice set that had laying around the shop. I appreciated and remember the kindness.

I guess when I got to really know Dan was when he started dating my little sister Florrie. He'd come up to the house and we'd end up spending a lot of time together. Almost every weekend night, Florrie would get sleepy and go to bed.  Dan and I would end up hang around together for hours.  I soon discovered that Dan Noojin had a very funny sense of humor. We'd almost always find some reason to laugh ourselves senseless.  I don't really know when it happened but Dan eventually became my close friend along the way.

I was glad that Dan and Florrie married. It meant Dan would ensure be a close friend for life. We share a strange connection. We seem to always be in on the same joke - on the same page. Someone will say or do something that sparks an old joke and there will be some moment in our past that Dan and I will remember.  We'll make eye contact across the room and smile. I can't explain it. We spent so many hours together those many years ago that we got tuned into one another. How many times did we start laughing while driving down the road in that old truck of his? My thoughts go to the harvesting whale sperm conversation - and how we hurt ourselves laughing so hard - imagining what such a task would involve. I don't know how Dan was able to keep his old truck on the road. Ohh - I am laughing now.

Dan is a poet. I have never personally met or known anyone that could write songs the way Dan can. If you strip the music from his songs - you'll always be left with beautiful poetry. My songs aren't that way. My lyrics need the music to stand. I can read through Dan's songbook and enjoy it's flow and thought without the need of the melody.

Like most people, Dan and I have differences, but I have always valued his opinion. He's very wise, honest, and forthright. He's a very gentle fellow, but doesn't hold back when he feels something needs to be said or done. He's the kind of friend that a guy needs to have around. Dan is a good man.

Dan has taken good care of Florrie down through the years. He's a great dad too. He doesn't sing as much as I'd like him to. He rarely, I'm mean rarely, plays. We used to often go into his back room and play guitar together, sharing what we've written, working on, or sing old songs that are familiar to us both. I asked him not too long ago if he'd written anything and he said he hasn't in quite a while. Florrie told me a few months ago that Dan doesn't think he can sing any more. That's a shame. I love his music and I have always loved his voice.

We don't spend near the time together that we used to. I got married, moved away for a while and then back.  We've lived back in Alabama for over a dozen years now and still don't see family as much as we'd like.  Dan and I occasionally see each other, usually on family holiday get togethers.  Gina and I live in our own world, and don't see much of our siblings and sibling in-laws...except for holiday occasions. I do miss Dan. Glad that we became friends a long time ago, better yet, I am glad that we became family too. I miss hanging with Dan (aka: Carl, aka: The Nooj). I miss the laughter.


Dan and I on a hike to High Rock

5 comments:

Greene Street Letters said...

All of you guys, Book, Dan, Nori,Don, yourself, were unlike any I had ever hung around with before. I remember as I met each of you I would just have this desire to know you. You all were such incredible songwriters and musicians and you had a sense of humor that I could relate to. It was like finding the lost city of Eldorado. I am grateful that I have been able to be a part of your world. I know, by jingo, that I'm a better man because of it.

mb

Greene Street Letters said...

Correction to above post:
That is BROOK!
I'm such a chowder head.
mb

RODRIGUEZ said...

Dave you said..."I don't know why, but from the very beginning I wanted to be Dan's friend".

You know what...I felt the same way. Dan is such a great guy. I would go so far as to say that Dan is like a pillar......and a poet.

Anonymous said...

...there's a whole lotta man love goin on here.... not that there's any thing wrong with that. dan

David Finlayson said...

oops...


i've seemed to have dropped my soap