Friday, February 20, 2009

little feet

Florrie misunderstood what car I meant. She thought that I meant the little blue pedal car. I went out and found a few pictures of it. I am pretty sure the car was originally a gift to me - but gosh darn it - I grew to where I could not longer fit my legs in it. I remember trying to go down hill with it with my legs straddling the sides - but that wasn't any fun. The only way to stop was to aim for a pine tree. Florrie once learned very early about stopping a car with a pine tree. I don't know how old she was - but she was a wee thing. She climbed into a real car parked in our drive and got behind the wheel. Little Florrie played with it until she got it out of gear and took the car for a short spin. One spin. The car went down hill and the car hit the tree. That poor pine lived, but always had a place where the car stopped abruptly.

Anyway, back to the pedal car. I vaguely remember the car. I remember it turning to rust because we it was left outside all the time like a real car. Gina and I ended up with her older brother Terry's pedal car. Years ago I found it in an old shack behind Mrs. Hale's house. Gina and I eventually adopted it and paid a pretty penny to bring it back to it's former glory. It's a much nicer car than what I had as a kid. It's only been outdoors a few times. The last occasion was about seven years ago - J. Holland and I used it in a television commercial for Boaz Outlets.

I don't know what ever happened to that car. Well - I do know - it rusted away and was discarded. I ounce ran across a little navy blue pedal car (like the one I had) in a Bowling Green, KY antique mall. It was kind of rusty but was the same model. I never saw another one since. Most of those who know me know that I've collected a lot of old stuff. I've gotten to a place in life where I've let a lot of it go. I'd love to have those things but most of the items I like are really big and not too practical to keep. I do like pedal cars and happy with the one I've got. Katie outgrew the one we have (Terry's) a long time ago. Kelsey likes to go downstairs and drive around in it. Her legs fit in there fine and I know that it won't be long before they no longer will. Enjoy those little feet while you can little one. They will take you places that mine no longer let me.

2 comments:

Bobby said...

I love those old pictures with the dates on the side!

David Finlayson said...

I am glad they have the dates on the side. I think they ought to bring them back...with the white fancy border too.