Thursday, January 1, 2009

of fish

Last week on our way back home from Columbia, Brook treated me to a smoked tiapia dish at O'Charlies. It was a perfectly cooked piece of tilapia that was smoked and served on a piece of hickory. I love tilapia - love cooking it - and this blows away anything I had ever cooked myself.

Last night Gina and I went to The Fisherman here in Southside, AL. I ordered the blackened salmon. The blackened salmon was out of this world. I recommend it.

Growing up, the only salmon I ever had was breaded and skillet fried in patties.  It was usually served with grits and flat buttered biscuits. That was the only kind of salmon I ever ate until about sixteen years ago. It was the first time Gina and I drove down to Destin, FL.  We were guests of Dave and Diana Hope.  Dave had knocked on our door and asked if we liked salmon.  I said "sure", but didn't tell him that I had never had it smoked before. Later that evening we sat at the table around the HUGE cooked fish.  He served us each a large thick salmon steak and I have been a HUGE fan of smoked salmon ever since.

The meal at The Fisherman last night reminded me of that first experience down in Florida. If you like salmon or tilapia - that's where to go for something incredible.  By the way, I also tried The Fisherman's Shrimp and Grits that was one of their side items.  Shrimp and Grits isn't a favorite, but I wanted to compare it to the item of the same name served at Classic on Noble (Anniston). I believe it was just as good as the Classic on Noble dish - only not as expensive. The dish is mentioned in The 100 Dishes To Eat In Alabama Before You Die. The Shrimp and Grits at Classic on Noble is a main course, but you can try The Fisherman side dish if curiosity gets the best of you.  The grits are good but I'll opt for the smoked salmon any day!

3 comments:

Brook said...

I had forgotten that Mom served the salmon patties with grits and biscuits. That actually sounds pretty good. I may have to give that a try.

I have successfully charcoal-grilled salmon steak or filet with Cavender's Greek seasoning.

Lookin' like fish this weekend.

David Finlayson said...

Gina often preps salmon patties with biscuits and are a lot like moms. She grew up eating it with mashed potatoes rather than grits. I prefer the grits because that's what I was raised eating. I'll eater the mashed potatoes just so I don't let them go to waste.

Do you remember that mom would heat up fish sticks and buttered bread? She'd also batter and fry oysters for dad. Fish sticks for a kid is okay - but I quickly aquired a taste for oysters.

David Finlayson said...

Mother said she read this post and our comments. She said that she grew up here in Alabama eating potatoes with salmon patties - that the grits and salmon was her acomodating Dad's South Carolina taste for grits. Also - she would usually serve english peas with the salmon plate as well.

Mom said that our people in SC prefered grits to potatoes and that Alabama lean more toward potatoes.