Tuesday, January 13, 2009

me and liz

I know that all my siblings worried about me around their kids. I was an uncle that would ride my nieces and nephews on my shoulders and horsey-back. I was also known for holding onto their little arms and swinging them. Note to self - make sure you are away from walls and furniture when swinging children. I'd also sing silly songs and watch them all dance like munchkins on speed. Jennifer was always seemed nervous when I was around her children. Jennie and Irene seemed to take the careless care-free accidents in stride.
The above picture is of Liz Finlayson, back when she was five years old. It was January 9, 1987 and I was 28. Gina snapped this photo while Liz and I were playing with some of my hats. Me and Liz got along just fine - and still do - only I can't swing her around the room like I used to. I remember a day when she was too big to ride on my shoulders and she wanted to climb up. My back had gotten older and she was probably around ten. She tried two times and I tried to tell her that I couldn't carry her anymore. On the third try - her daddy leaned over and explained why that wasn't going to happen anymore. She backed away with a disappointed look on her face. Liz - I was disappointed too.

I can't help it. I look at Liz today - married - building their new house - very talented and sharp - and still clearly see that little girl. If you take another look at the photo above - Liz has always been Liz.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

...actually, she use to be Elizabeth, but she has always had the same sweet heart and beautiful smile. uncle dan

David Finlayson said...

true - i am just now getting used to the Liz name. I am still working on Foster. From here on out - I want to be known as FLASH!

Anonymous said...

That's an amazing picture!

David Finlayson said...

thanks stranger - it's a keeper