Monday, January 26, 2009

aunt lucy cain

This is a picture of four of Burruss & Jennie Wait Finlayson's children with Aunt Lucy Cain. Mrs. Finlayson taught piano while Mr. Finlayson was minding the store. Lucy Cain was hired to help with the house and all those Finlayson kids. Mother and I can only guess as to which Finlayson is which - but mother had the better guess. From oldest to the youngest we have (I believe) Florrence Foster Finlayson, Burruss Wofford Finlayson, James Murdock Finlayson and Jennie Llew Finlayson. I have made the names they were known by in bold.
This is another photo of Aunt Lucy with Westbrook. There is a story about Aunt Lucy and Westbrook that my siblings and I heard many times growing up. Mrs. Jennie Wait Finlayson came home one day to find her infant son Westbrook chewing on something. She asked Lucy what Westbrook had in his mouth. Aunt Lucy said, "Westbrook is eating peanuts." Mrs. Finlayson exclaimed, " Westbrook is just a baby - he can't eat peanuts!" Aunt Lucy smiled and said, "Lawd Mrs. Finlayson, I be chewin'em 'fores I feeds it to him." Now my Dad loved peanuts - but I don't think they ever were as good as the ones he ate on the front porch with sweet Aunt Lucy Cain.
Special thanks to John Wrisley for finding the picture at the top of this post. He found it among Jennie Llew's photos back in 2001, cleaned it up and enlarged it. John Wrisley by the way was a long time neighbor of Jennie Llew Guyton on Wateree Street.

1 comment:

RODRIGUEZ said...

hmmmm.....a different day and a different time.....I can tell she definitely loved the children.