Monday, December 22, 2008

the road to Christmas

Last night Gina, the girls, and I went on a Christmas light hunting venture. We didn't see as much as previous years this time around. Robby Elrod said that it might have to do with the economy. There were some folks out there with lots of lights in their lawn - braving the higher power bills next month. We did make our way out to Ball Play to see that incredible home made display.

We returned home around 8:00pm and I built a nice fire. Katie and I sat downstairs and read. Last year we read about three of the Chronicles of Narnia books. Last night I started reading The Magician's Nephew. We read three chapters last night and I'll be reading as often as I can. Gina and Kelsey came down for a while and listened to the reading. Kelsey seemed to be enjoying the moment. Gina said that Kelsey was enjoying the together moment more than anything.


After the girls went to bed I found another box of ornaments and loaded the tree down a little more. The basement is looking ready for Christmas. For the past month it has been upside down. Usually, just before Thanksgiving I will pull out tables and wrapping supplies so Gina can make like an elf and wrap. She shops and wraps, so I leave everything out for her to do what she loves doing. Well, as of yesterday afternoon, most of it is put away with only a little area set aside in order to bag or wrap last minute gifts.

I slept on the couch by the fire last night. I had a big one burning last night. I woke up this morning and built it up again. I told Katie that she can sleep by the fire and lit tree tonight. Dan dropped by this morning. He stood by the fireplace to warm himself and we talked a little bit. It's always good seeing Dan.

I am determined to watch an old movie this season, but I don't have it. Last year I purchased Bing Crosby and Danny Kaye in White Christmas. Gina and I sat down by the fire and watched it last year. I have been browsing video sections for the old movie Holiday Inn. Yes, the movie influenced a hotel chain naming itself after the movie. It's the first movie that featured Irving Berlin's White Christmas. Holiday Inn stars Bing Crosby and Fred Astaire. I saw it decades ago and don't remember if it's any good or not - just a small quest for the holiday season.

I've been posting some family related stuff relating to Christmas' past at http://boomervilleusa.blogspot.com.

No comments: