Wednesday, December 10, 2008

dirty santa

The first time I ever played Dirty Santa - I thought it was fun. The second time I found it mildly enjoyable. The hundredth time - I try not to be a part of it. When Gina tells me that we are invited to a Christmas party - the stipulation is, "Are they going to play Dirty Santa?"
I am so very tired of that game. It's a game in which almost everybody wraps their re-gifts and fight over the few real and thoughtful ones. I feel as if I've done well if I walk away with a jar of Planter's Peanuts. You can't lose if you get peanuts. These days I try to avoid events that play this game. If it's a family gathering I go, I politely decline my personal involvement and find something to do in the next room until the grab fest is over.

I am going to tell on myself now. The last time I played Dirty Santa was at a company party that we were invited to. Most of the gifts were of course re-gifts (or scented candles, a Rudolf coffee mug or the like). Gina and I took a power tool - a decent gift for such an occasion. I didn't know that we were going to play the Dirty Santa game. We were just asked to take a gift. The gifts were so terrible and I did a terrible thing. I happened to be fortunate enough to end up with the last number and I got my cordless drill back. I still can see the look on that poor slob's face as I got the tool back. No one after all knew who brought it to the festivity- so I decided I'd leave with it. I know - that was terrible thing to do. Two Christmas' later and I still feel kind of bad about it. Even when I win - I feel aweful. The game has lost all appeal to me I tell you. I can't stand it when someone has a "great idea" for their Christmas party and say, "Hey, I've got a GREAT IDEA - Let's play Dirty Santa!"

Let's not. Why not we just get together and forget the gifts. Let's just eat finger sandwiches, tell jokes, be with each other, and enjoy each other's company without the stupid selfish game. It was a game that was fun the first few times around - now it is the Christmas game from hell.

5 comments:

Brook said...

I've got an idea that's, really, just an expansion on the Dirty Santa idea. Instead of playing that game at a party, let's just go burglarize each other's houses a day or two after Christmas! Same holiday spirit only amplified.

Darryl said...

I suggest just throwing all the gifts in a pile and having a cage-match challenge to see who gets which item . . .

Or you could just make (not-so-under-the-breath) comments about the cheesy gifts the slackers bring.

Like you, I have left with my own gift as well -- but I don't feel bad about doing so at all! When we have to attend a party involving DS, we usually bring a pound of gourmet coffee or a gift card to Cold Stone Creamery.

Greene Street Letters said...

Better yet...
lets all wrap up a pair of our worst, unwashed underwear and then draw names to see who gets who's. Ye-Ow! that would be a Hum-dinger wouldn't it? Forget the dinger remark. (Ol' Jedi mind trick..you didn't read that!).

David Finlayson said...

I see that I am not the only one to not care for the game.

RODRIGUEZ said...

I'm with you Dave.....I would rather not play. I do remember one of the first times I played was at your house about 6 or 7 years ago. I knew the concept...but had no experience. You guys invited lots of people from the Vineyard to come by. I thought it would be funny to bring a 'Magic 8 Ball'. I think one of the Rowe kids got the gift. It was fun to watch his parent's expression.