Friday, December 26, 2008

a Christmas past

The last Christmas we spent in Bowling Green, KY - Gina and I went out with a couple to a see a live musical version of the Christmas Carol. I don't remember the small town, or the theatre, but it was about an hour outside of Warren County. The little theatre was known for it's great plays.

Gina had a friend by the name of Melinda King - who was also an Occupational Therapist in Bowling Green. I hadn't met her husband until that night. We all made plans to go out together, have dinner and drive out to see the play. We all had a pleasant time there and back again. On the way back, amid the conversation of traditions and things each do during the Christmas holiday - I mentioned that I usually watch the movie It's A Wonderful Life. "It's A Wonderful Life - what's that about?" Neither of them had heard nor seen the movie.

It was already past 11:00 p.m., but we invited them to our little house on Robinhood Trail to have some hot chocolate and watch it with us. They both seemed to not want the evening to end - we were all having a great time. I think that particular viewing of the old classic was the most memorable - sharing it with someone who had never seen it. I quietly enjoyed their enjoyment of it.
Bowling Green by the way is a great town to celebrate Christmas. They've got an old town square with a beautiful park in the center. Each year free carriage rides were offered. The town square was lit up and it was so beautiful to me. Gina and I used to attend a church called Fountain Square Free Methodist. Many of the congregation went out to sing carols downtown. That evening was filled with the Christmas SPIRIT - and good cheer.

Someday I'd like to go back there again with my girls. Maybe spend Christmas holidays up there. After 12 years, I don't know if there's many familiar faces left and I've heard the place has grown by leaps and bounds. I'd like to go up there during the fall or during Christmas never the less. I can't believe it's been that long since I've been back. I loved life up there so very much.

2 comments:

Darryl said...

We spend an afternoon in BG this past summer, and it certainly has changed quite a bit -- but still has that small town feel on the square.

The play was in Horse Cave, at the Horse Cave Theater. Kris and I went two or three years, and were amazed at the quality of production and performance at a community theater.

A few years ago, I was in BG and ate at Mariahs -- the original building burned down several years ago, but the food was just as good as always.

Hope you guys have a happy new year!

Darryl

David Finlayson said...

Horse Cave - yes - that's the place. The play I saw was pretty darn good - not like most local productions.

Mariah's was good. Next time I'm back up that way I want an Apple Walnut Crunch from Rafferty's. It's been twelve years since I had one of those - simply the best.