Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Wofford & Westbrook

This is my Dad posing with golf clubs of all things. The center photo is humorous - it's Dad pretending to not be handicapped to pretend that he is working on his handicap. The third image is Westbrook sitting behind Wofford Finlayson. He was a sweet fellow of many talents. He had a sign business in Columbia, South Carolina. Dad once told me that Walt Disney himself called and offered Wofford a job as an animator. Wofford declined because he wasn't one for putting his talent into another man's mold. About thirty years ago, he allowed me to rummage through his old portfolios and I was impressed with the incredible talent of this man. I remember seeing a photo a publicity painting he had rendered across the entire facade of a Columbia theater when Gone With The Wind was released. He had painted Rhett & Scarlet in their famous embrace, while Atlanta burned behind them. While driving through the Carolina's a few months ago, I noticed some of Wofford's handiwork still on display. You see - he was awarded the job of coming up with a logo/emblem to hang on all State Stores selling alcohol beverages. Wofford came up with a BIG RED DOT. Simple image and a simple solution - you couldn't miss it. So on the way to and from Cheraw- I saw many faded red dots along the way and thought of my uncle Wofford. This is a picture of a State Store in Charleston, SC that I found online.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

What GREAT men!!! Florrie

David Finlayson said...

HERE HERE!!!