Thursday, July 10, 2008

Groovy Man

This is Cheraw, SC native Dizzy Gillespie with his big band in 1947. Cheraw has a statue of Dizzy downtown, across from the old Lyric Theatre where he used to work. While in town a few weeks ago, we passed a stopped by a park that was dedicated to him. They are very proud of him back in his hometown.

I don't recall ever hearing Dizzy Gillespie sing. After listening to this video, I gather he was pretty darn good. My grandmother taught piano (and voice) in Cheraw. Uncle Pat once told me that Dizzy got on to him about not taking advantage of getting lessons from his mother. He told Pat that he was missing a great opportunity. Pat told me that story during our recent trip.

I love hanging around Jennie Llew and Pat. There are so many interesting little snippets from the past to be gathered.

1 comment:

RODRIGUEZ said...

that one guy was getting down on the xylophone......