Sunday, June 1, 2008

touched by an Anglican

i arose very early while my girls slept
showered and hopped in the van with the a/c

drove the back way toward pell city
then 20 to birmingham
i didn't know where the church was
had left the directions accidentally behind me
knew i'd have to call russell once spider senses started tingling
closer to the church
closer to coventry anglican in alabaster
russell gave me good directions
i just didn't follow them to well
knowing me i had allowed for thirty minutes for getting lost
for such a small church
a little store front church
they had high church
something i have been distant from for very long
every thing was ritual and that's not a bad thing
God was present
and i was moved many times
i took a brand new song with me
didn't really want to play it but knew He wanted it sung
i knew when the time came
that i had heard right
and that the song was for a certain moment
after communion
friar russell seems to be doing well in his new place
God bless him
i told him he seemed to be ministering these day
more than struggling
he's a good and decent man
with a heart to love people
and serve his God
seldom difference
twixt the two

We all shared the Lord's Supper and then broke bread together after the service was over. It was nice seeing Russell & April again. I drove home in the rain. It was a nice morning but I was worn out and past ready to be home when I pulled into my driveway. I came in and announced my arrival and then fell asleep on the couch. I don't have the energy I once did and don't know if I am up to pulling many out of town Sunday's like today. I love to lead worship but I always feel worn out - poured out afterwards...especially when I have leave town to do so. It's 9:30 p.m. and I am still beat.

2 comments:

Greene Street Letters said...

If you see Russell tell him I said,"Hello and am glad that he is doing well."
I felt like Russell was kind of left to hang by the powers that be. The one thing that disturbs me about church hierarchy. We all one big family until a work goes south, then we draw back and say, "God must have not been in that work."
I remember when Lyle shut down the Alabaster Vineyard. Other pastors descende on his place wanting all the chairs, equipment, etc.....
It was like, "Let's pick the bones clean."
There is still a lot of man in what God is doing. That is my greatest fear with this Saturday night meeting. I will get in the middle of it and screw it up really good.
Thanks for letting me vent...
mb

David Finlayson said...

From what I witnessed, the Bessemer Vineyard, "the work" did'nt go south, but did seem to get left hanging nevertheless. It was a great little fellowship but struggled financially.

I believe Russell to be in a better place than he was two years ago.