Friday, June 6, 2008

rambling mind of friday

J Holland called me yesterday (Thursday) and asked if I'd sit in on his program this morning. I woke up early and headed for town. I found him situated on the comfy couch at The Grind Coffeehouse on Court Street. It was a pleasant morning. I didn't contribute much as his temporary co-host temp but enjoyed hanging out with him. The coffee was great and the time flew by. I'd like to do a little more of it and get my air-wave-legs.

J is a very talented fellow. I don't know of anyone who is so knowledgeable when it comes to local - state - and national politics. He's pretty keen when it comes to history. He's a wonderful conversationalist and all around smart guy. We've worked on many campaigns over the past dozen years and he's a pleasure to work along side. Our individual talents have always fit nicely together. I especially enjoy those times when we've had to start the late night pot of coffee and pull ad campaigns together out of thin air. We get serious, we get silly, we get creative, and we get'er done!

After the J's morning show, I went to the office where Gina and I focused on paperwork. It was a very productive day. No running in circles, just did everything in front of us. I came home early with the Katie & Kelsey. My poor feet are killing me.

I am getting up my nerve to go outside in a little bit as the weather cools (a little) and wash the windows out front. I don't care for being on ladders. Ladders make me think of my old friend Jim Thompson. He could climb atop the tallest of ladder sand stand on the very top rung. I once saw him climb up to change the lights in the skylight. I got woozy just watching him stand up there like that...just doing his business without having to have anything to hold on to. I bet he could have balanced upon a flag pole if he had the mind to. I love you Jim.

I'll be heading to the office tomorrow morning to mow the grass. Jose', I believe will be going there to build a ramp for our entrance. It's always nice seeing Jose'.

Have I ever mentioned how I once hated doing yard work? Yep, until recently I did. Yard work really isn't as bad if you've got the right tools. I know it all goes back to when I had to mow the humongous yard on Scenic Highway. Two acres worth of real-estate, most of which consisted of various degrees of slopes. All I had was a little push mower and it would take me five hours to mow that sucker. Dad wouldn't even spring for a chain drive mower. Just a Briggs & Straton on four small wheels. I'd mow half, take a thirty minute break and then finish it off.

I remember before weed-eaters, I'd go out and pull weeds from around the shrubs and twenty something pines that graced our yard. Every other Saturday meant an all day manicure for our yard. If memory serves, I think I got paid about $10.00 to mow our home yard and $6.00 to mow the office yard. I guess that was pretty good money for the mid to late seventies. I am sure that yard work is what kept me from being chubby in those days...a blessing in disguise.

So I don't really mind it today. I can nail our yard and the office yard in a reasonable amount of time and finish it off with a gas powered weed-eater and blower. Yard work isn't as grueling here in the new millennium.
Here's a blast from the past. This is a quick sketch of what my Dad had in the tool closet for weed-eating. It didn't take any instructions to figure how to work it. You'd just roll it along your weeded-way and squeeze the handles. It looked handy but it never worked. The only thing it did well was take up space in the tool closet for three decades. I settled for some hand held garden clippers any day. I once thought that this little device might make for an interesting pair of toenail clippers but never had any real luck with it. I never could get Cindy to sit still long enough for me to prove it's worth.

P.S. Cats did not like this contraption either.

No comments: