Monday, June 23, 2008

South Carolina

I took the family to Cheraw last week. It was a long haul and Gina and I were amazed at how well our daughters Katie and Kelsey handled the trip. The grave-side service was Thursday morning at 11:00am. We stayed at a hotel in the old town section (Inn Cheraw)and St. Davids was only a few blocks away. Brook, Florrie, and mother had arrived at the hotel earlier. Thursday, we dressed and drove over to meet up with Jennie Llew and Pat. It was nice to see Don, Jennie and Foster were there too. I enjoyed being around family - even though time was short.

We drove over to a buffet style restaurant and spent a few hours talking. Still not enough time to meet but it was nice being together and being family. My cousin Beverly Triber (Wofford's daughter) had driven Jennie Llew and Pat to and from Columbia. We were invited to all drive down to West Columbia and spend a little more time on Friday. We got to see where they live as well as enjoy some incredible barbecue at Maurice's Gourmet Barbecue. I highly recommend it. They serve a yellow barbecue (mustard based) sauce that is outstanding! So next time you're in the area, you'll find a Maurice's peppered throughout the Columbia area. Don't forget to order the onion rings.

We all parted ways in the parking lot of Maurices. Gina wanted to spend a few extra days somewhere, to make it a mini vacation, simply because we can't get away that often. We spent the extra time doing nothing particularly special. I had a difficult time sleeping every night that I was away and so every day got progressively difficult to make it through the day. Maybe I am not the vacation sort. We arrived back Sunday afternoon and I found my rest and relaxation back at home. I guess I am a terrible vacationer - I told Gina that she needed to travel with someone else next time she wants to venture forth. It seems as if we in modern days like to spend our vacations driving long distances, shopping at franchised establishments, and going to over-populated events for fun. For the young ones in the back, every thing was a great adventure. For me - I am just glad to be back home.
I got to stay home Monday and sleep a little late. I did have to go downtown to have the Caravan towed. Gina, during lunch, hit a curb and ran over a fire hydrant. Her story is still a little fuzzy but her account is that she was having a bad day. When she has a bad day - she knows how to have them. Damage so far is unknown. I don't know if the frame is bent but there is a good bit of exterior damage on the front passenger side. The door won't open and loud yellow fire hydrant paint runs along the side panel. I just bought four new tires and four used wheels from Baker Tire Company. I just found out that the tie-rod is going to have to be replaced. Still - how is the frame? I know that the van is totalled out and here I am putting new wheels on it. Such is life. Last Thursday, Don was telling me how he had to spend over $900.00 to fix his Jeep A/C and then a few weeks later a deer totaled out his car. I can only hope the deer died. So right now I am going through the motions...hoping that I am not throwing good money after bad. Gina had told me over the phone that the damage didn't look too bad and that repairs shouldn't cost that much. Haven't we been to the body shop enough times to know that even the little dents and scratches can carry a HUGE price tag?
Deep down inside I am crying.

No comments: