Tuesday, June 3, 2008

home work

Katie is turning 12 this month. She wants to have a party with her friends with a Narnian theme. Gina told me about the idea and that she wanted to do it at the Jim Martin Wildlife Park. After mentioning to Gina that I didn't think the CIty of Gadsden would be too keen on the idea of building a bonfire and having 12 year old girls have an archery contest at the park - I told her we'd try to turn our backyard some how into Cair Paravel.

I wasn't thinking at the time what that would first entail - cleaning our back yard. Now I don't know what to do with the pool area. A storm messed the liner up about three years ago and we haven't had the money to return it to its former glory. It's our hope to do something about it next year. It's what we keep telling each other every year.

I worked on the leaves this past weekend. I worked on the leaves much of today. Gina insisted that I go and buy a good blower. My old hand-held Craftsman froze up last year and we haven't had the money to get a new one. So when Gina insisted, I drove straight to Lowes, because Gina doesn't insist that I buy a tool that often. Especially the expensive kind. Even with my new Troybilt backpack blower (no oil/gas mix required), the job was still formidable. I made such a huge burn pile in the backyard that I was kind of scared to light it. Once I got it going, it didn't burn fast. It's done nothing but smolder through out the day. I will probably go out there tomorrow and try to get it burning some more.

Once all the leaves are gone, I am going to clear the ashes and erect Katie's birthday present. She's knows what she's getting. We told her because we wanted to make sure that it was going to be something she would definitely like...seeing how those things cost a lot. We also wanted her to be able to play with it with her friends on her birthday. Katie was very excited and went down to Academy Friday night to get it. By the way, anyone up for helping a goof assemble a trampoline? Egad, what have I gotten myself into.
I don't recall when the last time we've spent so much money on stuff. I bought a new set of tires for the Mazda MPV this past Saturday. Later in the day Saturday, Gina, Katie and I went to Lowes and bought a bug zapper...one that could kill flying insects, including mosquitoes, across North East Alabama. As of late, we can't go outside without being attacked like Jap Zeros did at Paul Harvey...probably because of the dead pool water that I can't seemed to keep drained. While at Lowes, Gina wanted to purchase a half dozen yard torches, the Citronella kind. After all...it's just money. We are not rich folk mind you.

Hopefully the backyard will shape up. I haven't been going to the office (off Mon - Wed)because of all the house cleaning and yard work. It's not a big yard but it's been un-kept for a very long time. It still doesn't look too good after all I've done. Maybe things will shape up soon.

Our garage is clean, new set of tires, and a new leaf blower. I've even had some time to enjoy being outside for a change. There's more work tomorrow.

No comments: