Saturday, June 21, 2008

an email from Pat

The drive to Cheraw was long but pleasant. The afternoon was warm at the grave-side service and it was good to see those familiar faces. Words were given, kind and well spoken. God was glorified and a good man remembered. Family gathered at a local restaurant afterwards and we all sat there and talked for a few hours. We were invited down to Columbia, SC to continue our time with Jennie Llew and Pat. Pat told me that and email should be waiting for me. I will share it with you. Do keep my aunt and uncle in your prayers.

David: I just finished writing a lengthy reply to this email from you, when I accidentally hit some wrong keys or failed to heed some pop-up. In to lost forever went my message - something that happens to me quite frequently. I won't and can't attempt to remember and re-write all I said in it. I want to get to Murdoch's funeral graveside service tomorrow on time. I did, however, enjoy your blog with that beautiful rendition of Softly and Tenderly Jesus is calling ... by a beautiful voice giving it just the right treatment. My eyes welled-up with tears, as they, no doubt, will tomorrow morning . Funerals of family members and other loved ones are just so hard for me to take. Murdoch and I were so inseparable over our time in life together. Even World War 2 and the Navy didn't keep us apart. And one never gets too old to mourn and cry. I have loved both my parents, Evelyn Bland, and all 6 of my siblings for e verything that I knew and saw in each of them - too much to make comparisons. I feel greatly blessed by God for each of them, and especially the brothers who have helped in adding new generations or giving us a family-at-large. I love and appreciate the in-laws who have been so loyal and faithful to their marriage vows in each generation. When we think of all this, we are a wonderfully God-blessed family-at-large. Do you agree?

I love you all - and let's pray for our safety, going and returning to our respective homes after we have paid our loving respects to good ol' Murdoch and have a happy reunion together in our old SC home town, knowing Mother, Papa, Evelyn, Wofford, Westbrook, Florence, Rutha, and Murdoch will all be with us in spirit, as well.
-Pat

Murdoch, Jennie Llew, and Pat
July of 2007

3 comments:

RODRIGUEZ said...

nice to put a face with the stories....

Darryl said...

David,

I'm so glad you were able to spend some time with your family in Columbia -- I know you'll cherish the conversation and fellowship. Your family story is both amazing and inspiring, and I appreciate your sharing it.

Hopefully, we'll be able to get the families together at some point in the future.

Of course, if you ever find yourself in this neck of the woods again, you always have a place to stay . . .

Darryl

David Finlayson said...

We will take you up on that.