Thursday, May 8, 2008

cheraw finlaysons

I posted not too long ago about my grandfather Burruss Finlayson. He was a dry goods merchant in Cheraw, South Carolina (Chesterfield County). Click on the photo to get a nice gander at it. Burruss Finlayson is the elderly gentleman in the dark suit and hat. My aunt Rutha Finlayson Dyal is standing next to him. Mr. Burruss Finlayson died before I was born. I had the wonderful opportunity to get to know Rutha.

There's a Finlayson family plot in the corner of the historic St. David's Episcopal Church in Cheraw (c1770) where both Burruss and Rutha are buried. My great grandfather and grandmother Murdoch Uriah & Lucinda Pate Finlayson are buried at St. David's but in a different location. Burruss Finlayson and his family were members of the First Methodist Church of Cheraw. Last time I was there (a decade ago) he still had a pew with his name on it...information for what it's worth.

2 comments:

A.J. said...

I have really been enjoying reading your blog lately...I love all of the Finlayson history...

David Finlayson said...

I miss see you.

Glad you enjoy opening up the mixed nut jar of Finlaysons.