Thursday, January 10, 2008

Isabel Finlayson Bridgers

Genealogy is like falling down the family tree, you never know what branch you are going to hit during your quest. I haven't had much luck at finding someone that I've specifically look for but rather discover kin in my perifrial vision. It's like Forrest Gumps box of chocolates...

Isabel is the daughter of Daniel and Charity Finlayson, my great-great grandparents - so that makes Isabel my great-grand aunt (Murdoch Uriah's youngest sister among a family of six children). Not too long ago I met a fellow time traveler on-line who is a distant cousin. His name is Lewis Caroll. He is a descendant of John Crawford Bridgers and Isabel Finlayson Bridgers. Pretty neat huh? Lewis emailed me some interesting photos back during the Summer. Here goes:

David-

Well, I have some great news! I have finally found my family's stash of old photographs! I am on my way out the door, but I wanted to get these to you!
Liza Bridgers McCullen and family. She is the one holding the baby. Her husband George is next to her. My great-grandmother Dora is standing behind/between them. The baby and three boys are Dora's siblings. The older woman is George's mother.

Tintypes of Liza and her husband...1880's.

Liza is the daughter of Isabella Finlayson Bridgers. You are an actual Finlayson...does she have any Finlayson looks?

More to come...I am interested in your response!
-Lewis

4 comments:

Darryl said...

David,

Okay, I've sensed it for years . . . we are related (sort of)!

My family descended from the Bridgers of North Carolina (actually, England by the way of Virginia). A quick search of my family history website ( http://thomasandbridges.com/index.php ) shows that our name changed to Bridges when we moved to KY, and that we were in the same area of North Carolina as Isabella Finlayson and John Crawford Bridgers. I haven't had time to trace the link through the Bridgers side, but I am sure its there.

I'm not sure if this is more disconcerting to you or me, but I thought I'd share!

Good stuff . . .

darryl

David Finlayson said...

WAY COOL CUZ!!!!! Do you think you'll be able to dig back and secure our relation? If so, that means I can attend all your family reunions and secure myself next to the shrimp dish.

Darryl said...

My family reunions are in Kentucky -- no shrimp in sight, but plenty of pulled pork barbecue.

When I was a kid they fired up a still one time . . .

David Finlayson said...

That'll do jest fine.