Friday, November 23, 2007

Thanksgiving

Great day. Gina and I hurried with food prep as we got ourselves and the kids ready for the day. We dropped some food by Brook and Jennifer's place before heading up to the mountain to celebrate Thanksgiving with Gina's side of the family. It was wall to wall food and people. I found a place next to my father in law Walter Hale during all the commotion. After eating and meeting, I went outside for a while where some of the men-folk had gone out and were talking about this and that. The children had made their way out into the cold to run and play.

We left around 2:30 to head back to Southside where everyone had gathered for the Finlayson's side of Thanksgiving. Everyone had just gotten there and had started eating. I was full from the Hale side gathering. I did chomp on an incredible salad that Brook had made. I am not a big salad fan but that salad was simply out of this world. There were three turkeys cooked three different ways. I had a sampling through out the night. Simply too much food to try it all. It all looked good though.

My favorite part of Thanksgiving is getting together with family and song. Mom told me after we finished that we had played three solid hours. Gina said she had counted ten guitars around the room. As the family expands, so does the Thanksgiving jam session. Wes Elrod and West Finlayson both played some stuff they were working on. They are quickly becoming pretty darn good guitarists. Emily (aka Foster) had her banjo and played some of her songs along with fellow Moonpies band member and beau Phillip (on bass). Gina took her djembe and my girls took all the jingle things from the house. We made a lot of noise and had a lot of fun.

As I mentioned earlier, I will be playing at the Coffee Vine Cafe' tomorrow night around 7:00. I hope that the Alabama/Auburn game won't stop too many of my family from showing up with their instruments. We'll see. I remember how game nights put a hole in the audience back in the Christian Brother's Skylight days.

No comments: