Thursday, November 15, 2007

odds & sodds post

Michael's back at his old weird movies page http://www.mikesbmovies.blogspot.com/. Go check it out and bookmark it. A most recent post reminded me of the old WTCG (later to become Ted Turner's TBS Superstaion -the first super station ever). Back in the early seventies, Ted Turner was just stirring things up and television never got any better. Bill Tush doing a late night news. Real news mind you, but the guy delivering was a nut. I seem to remember a particular night when Bill was giving the news and some of the crew throwing a Frisbee back and forth behind his head. To think that these are the people that later brought you CNN (The Clinton News Network) and HNN.

Any who, WTCG used to have this show called Friday Night Frights with Dead Ernest. Old Dead was this guy that rose from a coffin and introduced a campy old horror flick. Dressed like a vampire who seemed to have found his wardrobe from the Hannah Home Drop Box, and vampire teeth that were too big for his mouth, Dead Ernest just wasn't very scary. He was funny...that is...if you could make out what he was saying with those huge faux teeth jutting out of his face. Great show!

Changing the subject, I sat downstairs watching Glenn Beck while going through old cassettes. I had headphones on and couldn't hear a thing Glenn was talking about. Gina was talking too but I was busy pushing play-forward-stop-eject-play-forward-and so on. Last Saturday night before recording at Vineyard, I realized that I had misplaced my lyrics to JERUSALEM. Anyone that knows me knows that I can't remember lyrics...not even my own. I looked everywhere and couldn't find them. It then struck me last night that I might have it on tape. All I had to do was listen to any tape made from 1989 on. I was fortunate to have found it on the second side of the second tape I listened to. I am going to try to record it with Jennie while she's in town for the Thanksgiving Holiday.

I have invited family to come to The Coffee Vine Cafe' the Saturday after Thanksgiving (24th) and join me on stage. Brook said that he planned on making it. Jennie emailed me a few days ago and said that she and Don were planning on being there. I am going to try to get as many of my singing and playing kin to play as possible.

Jose' is coming tomorrow to work on the basement. I am really looking forward to it. It's great to work with him and will be great to have my studio back.

I washed clothes last night. I heard something clanking in the dryer. Gina has a bad habit of not emptying her pockets before throwing dirty clothes into the hamper. Usually I get to launder and keep the cash I find. Last night I pulled out a fountain pen that she forgot about. The clanking persisted in the dryer. A few days ago I had let Gina borrow my 2gig flash drive for a PowerPoint presentation she was going to give. I guess I'll have to buy me another one.

4 comments:

Darryl said...

Hopefully you won't have to buy a new flash drive . . . I washed one and figured it was done for -- but a couple of days later, I gave it a try and it worked.

Ben (our three year old) has been filling his pockets with sand, rocks, and leaves (he pretends they are money), which usually results in the need to rewash a load or two. I've got to get better at checking his pockets before he starts stuffing them with worms and frogs.

peace,

db

David Finlayson said...

I read your post about Ben's pockets. Good stuff Darryl. I'll give the flash a couple of days to air out...hope for a small miracle.

RODRIGUEZ said...

I used to love to watch Friday Night Frights when I was a little boy. Didn't he have a plastic bat on a string?

David Finlayson said...

I do believe that he did. You must have been very little.