Wednesday, October 3, 2007

the war

PBS has been airing a new documentary by Ken Burns entitled The War. I'll put it right up there with The Civil War. The difference between the two is that The War is told by the people who survived it. WWII is such a vast telling, fought on a thousand fronts that Ken Burns told how the war was experienced by four U.S. towns. Burns said in an interview that he simply wanted stories to be told without commentaries and hindsight analysis. What I have seen of this documentary I've found myself spellbound.

Growing up, we've been surrounded by silent heroes. Once young men that left their homes and families and fought a terrible terrible war. We were once a great nation that could rally together, every man woman and child to do their part for much needed victory. It is my prayer that that great nation might still exist. While watching The War, I was constantly reminded of who we were and what we are now. I am afraid to say what it will take to shut the politicians up..what other tragedy it will take to wake us up. 9/11 was a wake up call and most of us hit the snooze button and rolled over. On the TV, all I see are people complaining about when we'll bring our troops home...as if stopping the war will end our problems. Absolute stupidity.



Agree with me or not, try to catch the documentary. It's a moving work and will make you appreciate the lives of our very own kinfolk.


Here's an image I found online of my Uncle Pat's LST 312. He was on Bloody Omaha in June of 1944. Patillo Ainsworth Finlayson is the youngest of my dad's siblings and now resides in Columbia, SC.

2 comments:

Greene Street Letters said...

One of my favorite stories was related by another man who served on LST during D-day. He said that it didn't help his fear when he learned that the men referred to LST's as LARGE STATIONARY TARGETS.

mb

David Finlayson said...

Yea...Pat told me that one. My father in-law also served on an LST. He also served as a cook on the carrier USS Midway.