Tuesday, October 23, 2007

All Hail American International Pictures


I grew up at a good time. Everyone who knows me knows that I love going to the drive-in. I haven't been that much this summer...mostly because of the heat. There also hasn't been much worth watching. Still, nevertheless, I've missed it. I nearly went last Sunday night, just to go for going sake....all by myself. I ended up not doing it because I like having company along.

It's Fall...October to be exact...Halloween time. Growing up, my brother Brooky would frequently hit the drive-ins with Jamie Moore. I was a little kid then and always appreciated it when Brook would ask me to come along with him. Halloween meant the all night spook fest at The Rebel Drive-In in Attalla. The spook fest would go from dusk till dawn...horror movies back to back. My favorites were The the horror films of American International. Sinister beings such as Peter Lorre, Vincent Price, Boris Karloff, Christopher Lee, and Peter Cushing. It was American international that I last watched Peter, Vincent and Boris and the first time I ever saw Christopher Lee and Peter Cushing. Great stuff.

I remember seeing Bucket of Blood, The Island of Dr. Moreau (Burt Lancaster), Madhouse, The Thing with Two Heads (funny), The Oblong Box, Comedy of Terrors, X- The Man with X-Ray Eyes, Tales of Terror. I also enjoyed their Edgar Allen Poe takes, The Fall of The House of Usher, The Pit and the Pendulum, and The Raven.

Good times!

2 comments:

Greene Street Letters said...

I still think Pit and the Pendulum was one of the scariest movies I had ever seen. It still holds up well today.
IN one way, I think movies have gotten worse because of the reliance on CG effects. It's like they have abandoned the "Brain/thinking" part of the movie (THE PLOT) to embrace the "Special F/X" or the EYE CANDY. Kind of sad.
I too took in many a horror-fest at the drive-in's.
Those were good days to be a kid or teenager.

mb

RODRIGUEZ said...

I enjoy those old horror movies. Someone told me that there was a channel on Direct TV that showed nothing but old horror movies. I don't care for most of the newer horror movies...b/c they usually don't have an ending to them.... there's always some kind of sexualy perversion involved (I guess that makes it more realistic in this day and age) and nobody good wins...it's the triumph of evil over good. Call me 'wishful', but I like a resolution. Even if the villian lives....that's OK.....I don't mind, but I do like for the hero/victims to survive. Anyways...