Monday, July 9, 2007

when God says build

I am sorry Denise. I meant to comment on the movies Jose', Cindy, & AJ and I went to see at the drive-in last Wednesday. I was meaning to get around to it.

***** Here goes: EVAN ALMIGHTY was a pleasant surprise. I wasn't really impressed with it's prequel, BRUCE ALMIGHTY. EVAN blew my doors off. As a Christian I am used to Hollywood's blasphemy and poking fun at God and his people. This movie though, was a funny movie with serious meaning. I don't want to give the plot away, so I'm not going to tell you much. I thought this movie a wonderful vehicle for expressing God's love, how He answers prayers. I've discovered that God rarely answers our prayers the way we think He will. When he leads us, we must follow, even if the world looks on at us as if we are stark raving mad. There was a moment in the picture where I was deeply touched and I wiped a few tears from my eyes. I looked over to Jose' and mentioned to him that God is all over this movie. Jose said, "Yeah, it's had me convicted since it started." I give this movie two thumbs up.

***** The second feature was the new DIE HARD movie. The plot is of course somewhat familiar, but it's a great action from beginning to end. I did miss Bruce Willis and his humor in this picture. Maybe after all his character has been through, he's tired. He takes on the bad guys like a seasoned pro. He's been on the edge three times before and maybe he's just fighting his way to the end without the one-liners. Jose' mentioned while the movie was playing, "Hey David, notice how there's hardly any cussing in this movie?" True, every Die Hard before was full of harsh language. The only thing I can surmise is that Bruce is a dad now, a dad that likes to take his kids to the movies too. Maybe Bruce is trying to clean his Die Hard act up a little for the kid's sake. Bruce would at least have to say Yippee-Ki-Yeah-*&$)#! True, but they actually stepped around it and you'll see how he did it when you go. I can't say this Die Hard is as good as the first but it's as good as the second, and way better than the third.

*****Those were the two movies showing at the Sand Mountain Drive-In last Wednesday night. I do want to recommend another movie I saw a few weekends ago with my family....Disney's RATATOUILLE. This is not just a kids movie but right up there with SHREK, TOY STORY, and CARS. There is one scene in this movie that is my favorite, when the food critic comes to the restaurant to taste the ratatouille. This kind of moment is a scene that is reminiscent of something Orson Wells would have captured. It's a very powerful moment. As a middle aged man, I enjoyed this new mouse animation by Disney.
I'm David....and I'll see you at the movies!

3 comments:

Greene Street Letters said...

Thanks for the movie critique..
Coming to a Satellite pay-per-view near me....
looking forward to seeing them.
mb

RODRIGUEZ said...

Great Review! I remember two guys with weird names who did reviews on television. Did one of them die? Anyway, yours are better! Glad to know I'm welcome to tag along...even when its a kid-free nite. Yeah, the reunion's still on. Looking forward to it! KDR

David Finlayson said...

Thanks Jose'. I think you're talking about Gene Syskel and Roger Ebert (Syskel & Ebert). Gene died from complications from bain surger back in 1999...so....I Googled him.

I remember watching these two Chicago critics argue on public televsion every Sunday through out the eighties. I liked watching them and would consider their advice.

I don't care for Ebert & Roeper. I have been disappointed going to movies they've recommended. Seeing two thumbs up (on a movie poster) from Ebert & Roeper doesn't sway me one iota.