Wednesday, July 18, 2007

salute the flyboys!


I just finished the book FLYBOYS by James Bradley. He's also the author of the book FLAGS OF OUR FATHERS, son of one of the marines who raised the flag on Iwo Jima. The book FLYBOYS is an incredible read. My only criticism of the book is the author's constant attempt to place blame at America's feet. I'm sorry Mr. Bradley, but America did what it had to in order to break the back and will of Japan.

The book delivered a history of the Japanese culture the preceded the Second World War. Let me put it this way. I don't believe judgement should be withheld toward a serial killer because he/she experienced a bad childhood...the same goes for a nation. A war crime is a war crime. The Japanese were guilty of countless atrocities that surpassed what the Nazi's did to the Jews. The Japan and Germany were the BAD GUYS...not us.

Don't get me wrong, FLYBOYS is an excellent read. The author dug into the declassified transcripts of a war crimes trial on Guam following the war. So top secret, that not even the parents and families of the eight young fly boys shot down over Chichi-jima were told of their son's horrific fate.

George H. Bush, SR was interviewed for the FLYBOYS. There is a powerful interview and his account is touching.

I recommend the book. It played out in my mind like a Ken Burns documentary. FLYBOYS is filled with a great deal of sadness. It's a story of war in the Pacific on a very personal level. I disagree with the James Bradley's premise and conclusion, but there's a great deal to appreciate about this book.

2 comments:

Greene Street Letters said...

C'mon David! It's unAmerican not to bash America.....

O Beautiful for smoggy skies
Insecticided grains.
For strip mined mountains majesty
Across the asphalt plains.

America, America
man sheds his waste on thee....
and hides the pines...
with billboard signs...
from sea to oily sea.....

amen.

mb

David Finlayson said...

I love America...it's the Americans I have a problem with.