Saturday, July 7, 2007

three guitars

I sat down Friday afternoon and made the final decision on what songs I'd sing for StoryTeller's. I decided to precede each song for StoryTeller's with a poem. I felt that it went well and will probably use my poems more in the future. Poems are something I write a lot of but have little opportunity to share them.

I got to Vineyard and started setting up. Debbie Handy was there when I arrived and told me that Todd wasn't going to make it and that Liz Wood (my niece) may or may not join me. Tommy Puckett came walking in with his guitar and songbook. Liz came in shortly and then we were three. What a pleasant surprise.

No sooner had we started playing, my friend Allan Rhodes appeared in the audience. Allan lives in Huntsville and said he drove down as soon as he got my email. That meant a lot to me that he drove the distance. It was almost ten when it ended and we got to talk a little before he had to go home.

There were not that many questions from the audience last night. Brook (my brother) made most of them, which stirred some conversation about songs and songwriting. It was a pleasant evening and I would love to do it again.

I would love to do a StoryTeller's night witch Brook and Michael. We were once the Skylight Coffeehouse stage band. We'd do original songs but would also do songs of friends who weren't around anymore. I'd like to do a StoryTeller's and talk about the artists and the songs that we admire. I know that it's a little against the grain of what the evenings are about (original songs from the artists that wrote them). I have a few songs that Arnie Sanford wrote. The Guise did a nice rendition of Barry Goss' Jesus Knows All About It. Maybe we could through in a Mark Heard or Pat Terry song. We'd still do some of each other's original work, all acoustic....what do you think Debbie? Hmm? Hmm???

No comments: