Wednesday, July 4, 2007

dear old friend

I met Mychael John Thomas back in the late eighties. He's the most prolific songwriter songwriter I've ever met. He is also a very gifted musician. Every time he came to sing at Skylight (Christian Brother's Assoc. coffeehouse) he always brought a string of new songs. I always looked forward to Mychael coming to our little stage. One of my favorite nights was when he asked me to join him for what he called The Blues Brethren number, where we both sang his rendition of Soul Man! What a talent, what a sweet man.

Mychael called yesterday but I was away. I got hold of him today while he was on the road. We talked for as long as his signal permitted. Mychael's wrote a book a few years ago, music used on a motion picture, heading a stage band out in Austin, and even got himself a principle part in a movie. God bless him! He's very excited about making his living in the music industry. It's been a long road for him and he's got the talent to go far.
You can find out more about Mychael at his website http://www.mychael-neondreams.com/. You can also listen to some of his music at his myspace page at www.myspace.com/mychaeljohnthomas. I believe in supporting indie artist because I am one. If you like what you hear, by all means, order his music or download a song if you like it. I am not a big fan of Myspace because of the slut factor BUT Myspace has proved itself the perfect tool for independent artist everywhere. Do take the time to go and sample his music.
Mychael is leaving Alabama for Austin, Texas toward the end of July. He's a very happy fellow and I am so very happy for him. We're going to hook up for lunch before he takes off for good. It's been a long time since I've seen him and afraid that it will be a longer time once he's gone. I look forward to seeing him...I plan on taking a very long lunch break that day. I will miss him and will always love him.

3 comments:

RODRIGUEZ said...

Nice to put a face with the name.

David Finlayson said...

Well over a decade ago I drove down to Gadsden from Bowling Green, KY to do some recording with Mychael. He was helping me work on the project that later became STAND. Unfortunately, I went another direction and didn't use the work that Mychael produced for me. That day though is a good memory for me. At the time he was working out of the back of what was Adams Music Store (Broad Street). Even though we had known each other for quite sometime, I felt we bonded that day. I can't tell you how happy I am for him.

Greene Street Letters said...

Mychael has seen a lot of storms in his life. It was good to know that he is still standing and carrying on. It is for men and musicians like him that I wish the best. I see so many wanna-be's and those who care more about being a ROCK STAR than a musician.

I still remember the song (can't remember the title) that Brook wrote about musicians. One was playing in the basement of a church the other across town in a big arena. the contrast between the hearts of the two. Good stuff...

God bless Mychael John Thomas....

mb