Monday, June 4, 2007

the weekend


I was able to sneak away from the office Friday for about an hour. I went to the comic book stores on Broad Street and rummaged through the .25, .50, and 1.00 boxes. I found some old Charlton war comics from the late seventies as well as a few DC war comics. I also found a Will Eisner comic book. He's a cartoonist that was an incredible artist that drew the comic noir The Spirit. He died back in 05. Anyway, it was nice to sit of the floor and find stuff to suit my odd taste. I spent a little over $3.00 for a nice stack of yellowed comics.

Vineyard had an event called STORYTELLERS Friday night. Gina was tired and stayed home with Kelsey. Katie and I went together. Brooky (my brother), Liz Wood (Brook's daughter), and Debbie Handy gave the backgrounds of songs they've each have written and welcomed questions from the audience after each song. I hope they keep doing this. It reminded me a little of our old coffeehouse days. I miss it. Debbie said the she wanted me to do a Storytellers night soon. I look forward to it. I believe Michael Bynum and my brother inlaw Dan Noojin are going to be a part of one.

Gina and I spent much of the day Saturday cleaning out our garage. It hasn't been cleaned in about three years. I've still got some organizing to do out there but we got most of it done. It's so weird to not have to zig-zag to get through it any more. I am so happy to have it look so nice and orderly that I want to get out there and finish the job asap. There's so much room in there, we could square dance in there...not that I like square dancing.
Saturday night we hooked up with the Elrod and the Rodriguez families at the Sandmountain Drive In. I made a huge batch of popcorn from the old Christian Brother's popcorn popper and a butt-load of hot dogs. Denise Rodriguez made some cashew-fudge and we all had too much to eat. We watched Pirates of the Caribbean III and The Invisible. Both movies were so-so but I do so enjoy going to the drive-in with my family and friends. We had a great time.
Sunday was a lazy day. I slept late, cooked, cleaned house, and washed clothes. Yes, I should have gone to church but had some family time instead. I was throwing some burgers on the skillet and Gina mentioned how she hadn't seen her mother this week. I told her to call her mom up and tell her to come have dinner with us. Mrs. Hale came over and ate, had a cup of coffee and some brownies. They all played games together around the coffee table. They had a great time. Gina remarked last night how much she enjoyed the weekend for a change. I am glad to hear her say that because she works so hard and longs for family time.

4 comments:

Greene Street Letters said...

I'll trade last weekend's with you..
Mine was the Home improvement hell for guys with 3 left thumbs.
Sounds like you had a good time..you needed it and deserved it. Glad Gina, the girls and you were able to be together....
Vicki and I are going to Ft. Walton for 3 days next week and I'm so looking forward to just sitting on the beach reading and sleeping. Cant' wait!

mb

David Finlayson said...

Your trip sounds like fun. You two don't get away much do you? The only vacations we get are weekend getaways to Chattanooga. Gina wants escape somewhere so bad but business at present doesn't permit.

You had a hard weekend but you've got STORAGE!!!! That's a fair trade. Even better you had friends who knew how to put it together. Even though I've got a garage, the guy in me still would like to have one to stick more guy stuff in.

You two have fun!!!

A.J. said...

Wow sounds like a great time! I wish I coulda joined you 3 awesome families at the drive in that sounds like so much fun!

David Finlayson said...

We'll be sure to invite you next time around. We'd love to have you join us.