Tuesday, June 19, 2007

weakdaze

It was a very long day at the office today. I felt for the kids that had to be there all that time. They have to play quiet while mother's with patients. Today Grandmother Hale offered to keep the kids at her house where they can play outside and feel grass between their toes. We got home yesterday evening around 6:30. Katie's tutor came around 7:00. We felt Katie needed a little help before heading to a new school and a new grade. The tutor is her 5th grade teacher. It's nice to hear them work and laugh together downstairs. Katie had to go to bed shortly after the tutor left. Tomorrow she will be heading off with Aunt Carris to spend the rest of the week down in La Grange. That should be a nice break for her.

I called my brother up last night hoping that he could pry away from what ever he was doing and come over to watch The Wild Bunch with me. I found the movie last week at Walmart ($5.00) and thought it would be nice to share. Brook was polite as usual and said he was busy. He and Jennifer are busy folk. Still, it would have been nice for him to come over and share the slow-motion bloodshed. I will save the movie for another evening. I was tired anyway, I dosed off on the couch several times between linen loads.

These days I go to bed tired and wake up tired. I don't drink coffee much but I did make a pot today after getting to the office. I am forty-eight years old and could give you an organ recital of what hurt where when on a daily basis. I miss energy and dancing without feet hurting. We are all heading toward death, some a little faster than others. It's important to live as much as we can while we can. Important to dance with your wife and children, even if your feet hurt.

I'd like to go on a date with Gina sometime this week. Katie will be gone and Kelsey will be spending a few nights with Grandmother Hale. I think we'll go see the new Fantastic Four movie. I didn't care much for the last one but that Silver Surfer dude looks like a T-1000 (the liquid Terminator) with a surfboard. I hope this one is better than the first FF. Maybe we can have dinner together alone and talk. We need a break from talking about money and business. I'll try to keep the topics away from the usual suspects.

Brook said he'd like to get together one night this week with Dan and me at MiCasita's for fish Mexican-style. I've never had fish Mexican-style before. I look forward to the conversation. I occasionally play with Brook on worship teams but rarely get to talk. Most of our conversations are over the phone with promises at the end of hooking up. I don't get to see Dan much either. Busy lives all around. Now I know why old men meet at Hardee's in the morning. Life slows down and there's time to talk for those that have survived long enough for a nice conversation.

This weekend I'll be driving out to Columbia, SC to pick up my mom. She drove up to Washington with my sister Jennie. I don't know if I'm driving out and coming straight back or sleeping over on my uncle's couch. I'll find out soon enough. It will be nice to see my aunt and uncles again, even if it's for an hour or so. I don't look forward to the drive.

2 comments:

Darryl said...

David,

I hate that you are going to be so close to us, yet we won't be able to see you. Columbia is only an hour away from us -- but we are at the beach this week with both sets of parents, and I fly out for Germany this weekend.

Get some rest, and go easy on the old men meeting for breakfast. I meet with a couple of friends every Thursday for breakfast -- it's a great time to catch up!

Take care,

darryl

David Finlayson said...

As it turns out, I will be meeting up with my mom and brother in-law in Griffin, GA.

Have a great time in Germany! Years ago, I had an old friend who flew over Germany a bunch of times during the war. He never stopped for a visit...just had to drop a few things off.