Wednesday, May 9, 2007

song noir

I've listened to Warren Zevon's music since the late seventies, when Brook brought home the album Excitable Boy one day. Most people don't recognize his name but might remember the songs Werewolves of London, Roland the Headless Thompson Gunner, and Lawyers Guns and Money. These were great but he wrote so many more killer songs. I had the opportunity to hear him in concert three times in my life and each time very memorable. My favorite live performance was a dozen years ago here in Gadsden at The Center For Cultural Arts. Brook told me he was passing through and so I drove down from Bowling Green, KY to join Brook, Michael Bynum and Dan Noojin. I drove straight down and purchased my ticket the night of the concert. Zevon was there, standing on the stage area and I got to shake his hand and say hello after I bought the ticket. Later that night, the small room was packed and the four of us sat on the second row. Warren was backed by an obscure yet incredible band The Odds. It was a great concert. We sat on that second row belting out harmony as Warren sang.
Warren died of lung cancer back in 2003. That was one death that saddened me for a very selfish reason. I loved his music. I didn't like the idea of never being able to enjoy any more new songs of his. I enjoyed his sick sense of humor as well as his incredible love songs. Reconsider Me is among my favorite of his love songs.
The best of his work is his first and his last. . . Excitable Boy and The Wind. Most might find Zevon's music offensive, so I'd recommend picking up The Wind. He wrote and produced it with help from his old friends during the months preceding his death. His voice was a little feeble and weak but his performance made for a strong farewell.
A few years ago his son Jordan pulled together a CD entitled Enjoy Every Sandwich. It's a wonderful tribute piece with Bruce Springsteen, Bob Dylan, Jackson Browne, Bonnie Rait, Don Henley (and others). Each artist sang a song of Warrens. By the way, Jordan Zevon did a great version of Studebaker. The only two weak spots on the entire album were Billy Bob Thorton's performance of The Wind. He and Adam Sandler (who sang Werewolves) should've been locked and gagged in a closet. That's okay though, all CD players have a forward button. Springsteen is recorded live singing My Ride's Here. All in all, it was a great tribute.
A two disc CD came out May 1st entitled Warren Zevon Prelude - rare and unreleased recordings. The production value on most of the unreleased songs lack greatly (not all) but still worth experiencing. Most of the songs sound as if Warren was singing into a cassette recorder by his piano but fans like myself will appreciate listening to some of his never released songs. Not all of the songs were strange to me. Warren sings Hasten Down The Wind, Accidentally Like A Martyr, Carmelita, and Desperadoes Under The Eaves.
A great interview filled the second disc, Warren talks about songwriting and his life. There are three songs on the second disc of Prelude, I Was In The House When The House Burned Down and Don't Let Us Get Sick. Warren gives a great performance of Steve Winwood's Back In The High Life Again.
I purchase most of my DVD's and CD's at http://www.deepdiscount.com/ because the prices usually beat out everyone else and they always offer free shipping. The songs I write are nothing like Warren Zevon but he has been very influential and I really miss him being around. I miss his talent...his wry lyrics. I've enjoyed hearing him sing songs I've never heard before, listening as if he were still around...offering something new.

2 comments:

Greene Street Letters said...

My favorite?
The Hula-Hula Boys....
He was a unique individual...I took miss him and his music.
Alas...we never really believed that we'd grow old...did we? I mean we knew it would happen but we didn't really picture ourselves here, like this. All our hero's dying and leaving us. Growing angry at current society and all the "CRAP" it has produced (like we didn't produce our own). Maybe that is why nostalgia is so important. It gives us a reference point that comfort's our soul. For me, nostalgia makes today worse. I find myself longing for things I can never return to or experience again.
sorry for the ramblin'
mb

David Finlayson said...

The first "hero" to die for me was John Wayne back in 1977. There too, no more Duke movies. Bing Crosby died that same year and that was the year I graduated high school. Elvis died on his throne in 77 but I wasn't really a fan of his at that time.