Tuesday, May 29, 2007

old friend

Who is it?
Open your eyes.
They can't adjust but your voice sounds very...
Can you see me now? I am right here.
I see the shape of your face... I
That's okay Bud.
You know me.
You know me too. Sit up before you drift back, we've got things to do.
Am I sick?
No, you are perfectly fine.
For an old man.
You're perfect. Can you see me?
Better - but I can't believe my eyes.
Charlie had no children, no son that he ever mentioned to me.
That's right old friend. I had no children, no grandchildren or great-grandchildren like you. No one to grow up to look a little like me.
Can't be.
It's me.
But you are as young today as you were in that field...where you...
Where I fell.
You look as young as you have been in my dreams...after all these years.
When your eyes can fully open...you will see that your old friend is fine and that you are too.
I wrote to your parents Charlie.
I know. I appreciated you doing that. My mother kept that letter until she came home.
This can't be...you can't be...the explosion. I have never forgotten you. You died so long ago.
I know.
I lived. I went home. I grew old and you stayed young.
I know.
When you wake up from that dream of yours, we are going to get up and take a walk together. We are going to walk a little ways down that road. You're home.
Penny, I left her at the hospital.
No...time isn't a boundary here. Your wife, children and grand children are all here.
I don't understand.
You'll get used to it.
My hands, they are young and...
Yeah Buddy...like I said...you're perfect

Now get up and shake your dreams off.
Rise up and lean on me until you get accustomed to this place.
We need to move out...there's someone else who wants to see you.

2 comments:

Greene Street Letters said...

Maybe my age...
Maybe my time I live in but I find myself thinking a lot about what the "transition" is going to be like. Will it be instaneous? Will it be a trip, a journey? I don't know.
I guess I really have embraced the line from Pat Terry's song....
"Sometimes I grow weary from the process....
Of growing up ....
and growing old..."

Thanks for your words that stir..

mb

David Finlayson said...

If it's a journey...I'm sure it will be one of deep meaning.

I've always thought it to be instaneous. Who knows, one day we all find out.