Wednesday, April 25, 2007

Will the real Captain Savage please stand up

Captain Savage was a Marvel character that had both legs. There was a Captain Steve Savage (Golden age comic of the 50's) that appears to have been a flying ace in Korea. I think you're thinking of Captain Storm that was a DC character. He was the one with the wooden leg. Captain (Simon) Savage showed up in early Fury issues as a submarine captain who would occasionally drop the Howlers off on missions. Marvel gave him a comic book of his own back in the late sixties called CAPTAIN SAVAGE AND HIS LEATHERNECK RAIDERS that ran about 20 issues. I believe I have all of them. They were the same kind of characters as the Howling Commandos. They were too much alike except the leathernecks fought primarily in the Pacific. Leatherneck Private Little Bear later was a member of COMBAT KELLY'S DEADLY DOZEN (Marvel's Dirty Dozen take off). The deadly dozen was a very short run of 7 issues and all but Kelly were killed or maimed in the final issue. Captain Savage was a well conceived and illustrated comic book. I never cared for the sappy stories of Kelly. All those cons belly aching and the art just wasn't up to par.

There were more war mags than I can remember. Oh, I almost forgot. Marvel did have one called WAR IS HELL that came out in the early 70's. It was an odd little mag that leaned a little toward the Twilight Zone. Various short stories much like DC's G.I. COMBAT and FIGHTING FORCES.

2 comments:

Greene Street Letters said...

You're so right Carl! I stand corrected.
DC also had a comic (and I'm probably wrong on this one) called "STRANGE WAR"....
it was a mixture of GI's and Dinosaurs...

mb

David Finlayson said...

I'd like to get my hands on a copy. The title seems familiar. DC had WEIRD WAR but I vaguely remember what that was about.